Newbi ?? Lyman Deerstalker 54 - FL. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Newbi ?? Lyman Deerstalker 54 - FL.

Well, it seems that I have an unused doe tag, my only one, and the desire to extend my season. I'm an older guy with plenty of hunting experience, but know nothing about flintlocks or muzzle loading in general.

So, I thought the best thing would be to go and blindly buy a flintlock to hunt the late season, a week before the late season, with no idea what I was doing.
Funny thing is, it made me feel good. Like 40 years ago when I went on that first date not having the slightest idea what I was doing, but it all worked out and I'm sure this will too.

So, moving on, I bought a 54 caliber Lyman Deerstalker FL, and am not sure what to do next.

I know I am going to need to buy some stuff, what do I need? I will be working at the Cabelas in CT this weekend and can pick up some stuff there. All I have is the gun and a silly idea that a deer (on SGL) will stand still while I cock, aim and shoot.

I understand the concept that each gun will shoot different loads differently - I spend considerable time patterning my shotguns and sighting in my rifles, all to find the best load.

And, although I'm lucky enough to live where I can [censored] off the front porch and shoot off the back porch, my time is limited. Meaning I will not have the time to test multiple powder / projectile combinations.

So, I am hoping that someone will talk to me as if I was a seven year old with his fifth BB gun.
What do I need to get started, as simply as possible? Any basic powder/projectile recommendations? Should I be worried about burning powder hitting my eyes on ignition (serious question) Same powder for pan and load? Will a SGL deer really stand there looking at me while I cock, aim, pull the trigger and wait for fire. I'll tell you that the deer didn't do that during the regular gun season, I'm sure they'll dumb down by the late season.

Any advice will be very welcome...............

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Newbi ?? Lyman Deerstalker 54 - FL.

You should take time to test. I shoot 85 grains and a 240 hornady conical but that is out of a 50 cal deerstalker.

Remember, powder before bullet.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:51 PM

70 gr, patched round ball, 4ffff Pan powder and ffg down the barrel and have fun

Having one child makes you a parent; having two makes you a referee... Take your kid's hunting!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:52 PM

I can assure you that as bad a deer hunter I am in rifle season, I have no problem taking shots at deer in the late season. I would also second the advice to experiment some with your loads. I shoot 85 grains of BP with a .490 PRB, Crisco-lubed patch (I forget how thick) out of both my Renegade and my friend's Deerstalker. No idea what load to say for a 54. I have shot almost every caliber from .50 down, but never above 50. It is going to take practice as well, so shoot as much as you can!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You may want to start with a .530 ball .018 patch with 90 gr of 2 F if the .018 patch is to tight drop to a .015.
Use 4F in the pan also use a good english flint 3/4 inch

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jec turkeydad
70 gr, patched round ball, 4ffff powder and ffg and have fun
Make sure you don't shove 4f powder down your barrel! That is why he recommended two granulations. The 4f is in the pan, 2f for the barrel. If you shove the 4f down the barrel, risk of big boom!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You definately made the right choice!!! The Lyman .54 caliber Deeerstalker is a great flintlock. I love mine!!!
Take some time seeing what it likes. I use 80gr 3F behind a T/C Maxi hunter.
Good luck and enjoy!!
Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 02:01 AM

Lyman uses a hard to get out preservative in their Barrels. Get some Carb cleaner and scrub the Dickens out of it. Your first shots will be low because they put a high front Sight on them. Don`t worry about that until You find a good grouping load and then file It down a little at a time !!been shooting M`loaders since the 70`s and still learning stuff !! Enjoy the ride.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

90gr of 2F black powder down the barrel 530 ball and .15 prelude patch. Killed a pile of deer with that combo. Then I switched to 90 gr. Of Tripple 7 and sabboted 250 gr. Hornady XTP, I never went back. Clover leaf groups at 75 yards. Excellent results on deer. Just poke a little 4F in the flash hole to help ignition. I have my Lyman 54 cal. since 1990

16/17 Goal-Totals
reds-20-10
grey-2-1
yotes-5-2
coon-12-9
bobcat-1
fisher-1-1
Otter-1
Beaver 3
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 PM

First off; yes you should wear eye protection. A piece of flint in your eye would not be a good thing and hot ember wouldn't be either.

I have the same rifle as you and I use a .530 ball; .018 pillow tick patch lubed with mink oil from a place called Track of the Wolf but Crisco works good too. I have used both 3 and 2f Goex in the barrel and 4f in the pan. I have used cut agate from TC or black English flints; either works fine. I currently am sighted in with 90 grains 3f getting groups of 2-3" at 100 yards benched.

I have taken many deer with a .490 ball, Pa conical, xtp pistol bullets so far. I have not used the .54 to hunt with yet so I will reserve comment on the .50 vs. .54 ball.

Things you need to start. Powder(barrel/pan), flint, powder measure, patches (cleaning/shooting) and lube, your choice of bullet; I like round ball. You need a cleaning jag, a ball starter, a .38 caliber brush for cleaning out the patent breech area, some kind of powder solvent (rubbing alcohol works good/doesn't freeze), a pan charger or small vial. A patch retriever jag and a screw in ball puller is something you should have if you dry ball or lose a cleaning patch in the bore.

I use a small bag from Walmart that has a shoulder strap or can be worn on the belt to carry the extra stuff. Speed loaders take up less space in the bag instead of a horn.

Lots of little stuff can be added to the bag like pipe cleaners, small screw driver for changing flint, extra leather and flint, lock cover. I am sure I missed something but you get the idea. Go prepared for everything you might need.

PM me if you have any questions.

Have a good season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page