It's time - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

It's time

I got "the email" today from Mr. Allen Martin. My rifle is ready.

The previews he gave me of it are...well....awesome. I can't wait to put my paws on it.

I know some of you helped me with some answers and discussion a few years ago when I set out to get myself a new flinter. Some may recall me being full speed ahead on a Lyman Great Plains Rifle at the time. Obviously I went another direction.

More later when I get it home and have some shots with it under my belt. Very excited to have this project coming to a close, at least on the "build" stage. Now the "use" stage begins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: It's time

Best of luck with your new rifle. I've been there with the waiting process as Paul Allison and Brad Emig put together two fine flintlocks for me over a period of twenty years. It is a grand day when they are finally in your hands, and then make their first trip to the range.

I'm pretty sure a new modern center-fire piece can't provide the same level of anticipation. Enjoy!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Family Heirloom on the way . make sure You take It out to the Deer woods. I have a cherished Flinter My late Uncle made. Told Him It was too nice to take Hunting. He was A Sgt. In the 17th. Airborne in WW2, and In His Sgt. Voice told Me He didn`t build the Dang thing to set in a Corner !!! Enjoy Your new Toy and show us some Pictures.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Well, Berks, I'll say this... I'm as big a rifle looney as the next. I own 7 Winchester Model 70's, ranging from 1938 to 2012 in years of manufacture. Have a slew of US milsurp rifles, and some others that just "caught my eye."

But I've never had it in me to do a custom bolt gun. I had no idea this is where I'd wind up on the flintlock front, but it's been a fun ride so far. And I've got the ideas for "the next one" in my head already. Ruh-roh. I better not breathe a word of that around the wife. She's liable to suggest I store my flintlock somewhere it's not likely to fit real well.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron pa
Family Heirloom on the way . make sure You take It out to the Deer woods. I have a cherished Flinter My late Uncle made. Told Him It was too nice to take Hunting. He was A Sgt. In the 17th. Airborne in WW2, and In His Sgt. Voice told Me He didn`t build the Dang thing to set in a Corner !!! Enjoy Your new Toy and show us some Pictures.....
Make no mistake, this rifle will be happily displayed in my home, BUT...it's going hunting, and there's just no two ways about it.

I do have some pics he sent me, but I'm not sure I'm ready to post them just yet. Not sure I can explain that, but there it is. It's no reflection on the work that was done. Holy cow, it's a beaut. I think part of it is that I haven't picked it up yet. Maybe it'll feel more "real" once I've put hands on it.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We understand completely, You want to be the first set of eyes, other than Allen's, to see it!

And of course you want all of us to gawk when you do show it!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I've seen it, just not "in person"!

I can tell you, Allen hit the nail on the head. The vague ideas I came into this with were condensed into a vision of a rifle that he then made. To a "T".
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In the rifles I saw and handled, Allen always hits it! So I am sure I will gawk!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 09:28 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron pa
Odds are very good that firearms such as these, will mean more to future generations of family, than any set of antlers will. Legitimate handling marks and patina only makes the firearm look like it has stories to tell. I've often thought about the potential.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 09:55 AM

Congrats on your new rifle! How Exciting. Be sure and some photos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page