new to flintlock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

new to flintlock

I have been hunting for about 20 years now, and while archery hunting (traditional and compound) is my passion, I would like to start hunting with a flintlock. I would like to get a flintlock for late season hunting and target shooting, but do not know much at all about them. If they are anything like traditional bows, as far a craftsmanship and quality goes i can appreciate the benefits of a quality hand made piece of equipment vs some cheap big box store piece of equipment. Can anyone give me some information on some builders that build quality flinters, or where to look for some used ones. Some info on .45 vs .50 cal for pa big game would also be great. Thank you for any advise in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: new to flintlock

what are you thinking budget wise? a lot of folks on here recommend dixons. never been there myself, but sounds like a place to go.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would like to stay under a grand for the gun, I realize I will also have to buy other equipment. Where is dixons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

after looking on the map to see where you are at, I think its a few hours away. lots of guys on here will help you out on location ect. have you done any fl shooting already? is there anyone in your area to help you out?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a traditions flintlock, that I have had for a few years. the crappy plastic front sight is broken right now, just figured i would look at getting a new one instead of sinking any money into a 100.00 gun. dont really know anyone around my area that shoots a flintlock
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

dixons is in Kempton pa. what town are you near?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

im near the irwin exit on the turnpike
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't know what your interest's are, but a smoothbore is another option. I have a northwest trade gun I built 25 years ago, and it is, to me, the ultimate, all around gun for me. great accuracy with a round ball and great with shot for anything you want to hunt.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM
New Arrival

Another consideration is how much does historical accuracy matter to you. I like the idea of hunting the PA woods with a rifle similiar to what my forefathers would have used in colonial times. That means a rifle or smoothbore with a barrel 38" to 44". A barrel of that length comes with a few challenges, but adds to the experience.

You are on the right track focusing on quality components in the gun. Some builders make a gun called a schimmel or barn gun, guns with same quality components as a fancier gun but with less adorement and less fancy wood. Beautiful in there simplicity.

I would second the idea of considering a smoothbore. Generally, they come in two configurations 1)a "fowler" which would be more a kin to what we now call a shotgun, has a front site but no rear sight making shooting a round ball accurately more challanging. 2) "Smooth Rifle" has same architecture as a rifle, which includes a rear sight, just with a smooth bore barrel. A smooth bore can be very close to a rifle in accuracy out to 50 yards or so, which is about the distance I feel confortable shooting a primitive weapon at game. Bore size option are 28 gauge(54 caliber), 24 (58 caliber), 20 (62 caliber).

Try such online sites as Track of the Wolf, Historical Trekking, and Muzzleloader Forum. Track is an on-line retailer with great pics. The other 2 have classifieds where you might be able to find a deal. Here is one example.....
http://www.historicaltrekking.com/fo...ic.php?t=12717
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 10:13 AM
New Arrival

Here is a good read on smoothbore versatility....
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/SmoothboreLoads.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page