New to this... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

New to this...

Hey guys.. I just got a new inline from my uncle. It's never been shot. What should i do prior to shooting it the 1st time? I'd guess a real good cleaning since it was absolutly soaking in oil from factory. Also its a percussion cap #11 and the manual i found online say nothing about using pellets instead of using loose powder. Anyboy that could help me to insure i'm not using somthing i shouldn't would be greatly appericiated! Its a century arms centurion 50 cal. Also what all will i need to start shooting it? i've never ever shot a ml before if that helps?!?

I like Anti's:they taste like chicken!!!(ACT LIKE THEM TO!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 PM

Re: New to this...

There were a few models recalled about 10 to 14 years ago.

Yes the oil needs to be scrubbed out. Century Arms has sold some nice stuff and some junk. Keep your loads moderate 70 to 90 grains is enough for deer anyway.

If you shoot pellets, keep in mind that most substitutess generate higher pressures than black and sometimes 20% more, so back off on your load if using them. I would reccommend avoiding Pyrodex simply because it is more corrosive than black powder and even harder to scrub out.

There's nothing wrong with black powder, and it is cheaper than using pellets. I'd stick with 2fg. You didn't mention the rifling twist. A few older in-lines were indeed intended for patched round balls.

I once worked in a sporting goods store (1970's) and we sold Century Arms products. Back then as I recall, one of their products, a smooth bore flintlock, was recalled. Most of their stuff was fair to nice.

See if you can get another black powder shooter to meet you and give you some tips as you go through the process of cleaning and loading at the range. Whatever, you do, stay within the load reccommendations of the manufacturer. Some guns will take all kinds of abusive loads, some won't take any and with disastrous affect.

The NMLRA web site has some instructional guides avaailable on line, I think under publications.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

to be honest i have no idea what the twist is. I do know that the manual i found online gives you the options for patch and round ball, conical bullets(whatever they are? ) and saboted bullets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 PM

I would not think a inline will shoot patch round ball that well more like a bullet/sabot.
I would try hornady 240 mag: with some loose powder,I would start with 70 grains and go up from there.
I also would make a note never leaveany air gap between the bullet and powder.I would clean te barrel drop the charge then seat the bullet sabot and mark your ramrod.
i aslo would never run a dry patch down the bore after you fire a shot otherwise you won't get the ramrod out of the barrel.
just a few tips I am sure there will be more to come from other board members
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
New Arrival

What should you do with a new inline? Sell it & buy a flinter!!

Please contribute to the continuing destruction of Liberty. Vote Republican or Democrat.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'd love a flinter. But this was free so.... Thats my next purchase!! (as long as the housing idustry dosent't fully tank again!!! )

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Goody First Congrats on the free inline . I like flint myself . You do get the last season with a flint lock but hay it was free and at that price you should not pass it up . I would take it out and find out what it likes as charge goes start low with my flinter I started out with 50 grains of 2f and worked up and found out it likes it at 80 grains . I can take my flinter up to 150 and I did it once . Yes allot of smoke but it was not grouping like it was at 80 . Finding the right loads is half the fin of these smoke poles . Have fun and good luck .

MuzzleMike

Come and see me on YT !
http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzzleMike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:11 AM

If it takes #11 caps and it is an inline, I would think it is definitely and older inline. So, with that been said the barrel could be a 1:32 twist or a 1:28 twist depending on the era.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 12:40 AM

All three of my inlines have round ball barrels. Two are very old, the newest, from the early 1980's has a 1:32 twist for a 32 caliber.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page