inline for Illinois Deer Hunt? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

inline for Illinois Deer Hunt?

I have an opportunity to go and gun hunt in Illinois, what inline gun and load do you reccomend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: inline for Illinois Deer Hunt?

There are so many really good inlines available its hard to choose just one , my choice is the T/C Encore , for a load i use 80gr of FF swiss black powder and a 240gr xtp w/ sabot.

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like my 50 Cal. TC Omega using 2 50 Grain White Hot Pellets with a 295 grain Powerbelt HP. Started out using 245 GR Powerbelts, but after shooting IL bucks and does with both bullets favor the 295 GR HP for the big body IL bucks.

Have taken 2 IL bucks with the 245 graing HP and 3 with the 295 HP powerbelts. Terrain I hunt limit my shots to 100 yards max., most shots have been 50 to 60 yards.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Part of the Community

Any T/C muzzleloader will be a quality firearm for you. Can't go wrong there. As for the powder I'd recommend Blackhorn 209 powder. It is loose powder that is the cleanest burning inline powder available today. Doesn't create excessive build-up in the barrel so each sabot slides down the barrel almost as easy as the first. I've read of people shooting 30 times with it before cleaning for testing purposes. I like using the Barnes muzzleloader bullets with harvester sabots. Accurate and they hit very hard and don't come apart. Muzzleloading is really all about experimenting with what shoots best in your gun but I bet this combo will get you off to a great start.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
-Edgar Allan Poe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 AM
New Arrival

I shoot a Pro Hunter 50.cal with Nosler 260 gr partitions over 110 grs BH 209. Very accurate gun .so much so that I started carrying it during gun season instead of my shotgun(5c) and had a lot of success with it.....3-4 yrs ago had beautiful wide and tall 8ptr at 150 yds n missed it and it proceeded to run towards me and stopped at 50 yds broadside....by the time I reloaded he was gone. Ever since then in regular gun season I carry my shotgun...savage 210 with Leopold 3x9 with BDC. Both the 210 and the Prohunter r very similar in accuracy and range but with the 210 I get a second chance if I need it......so if ur willing to accept the one shot challenge a good inline will certainly do the job but sometimes a second shot can change the frown into a smile.......just my .02
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 AM

I own/have owned inlines from TC, Knight, and CVA. My current favorite is the CVA Optima V2. It's more accurate than my TC Black Diamond or my TC Encore. And it's around half the price of my Encore.

Rich Deerhunter
Cochranville, PA
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

I shoot an encore prohunter. 28 inch barrel. 150 grain magnum load (pyrodex pellets) with the 250 grain TC shockwaves in mag express (black) sabots. Have kille 4 buck in the last 6 years in Indiana state. The gun shoots a 3" group for me at 167 yards (thats the longest target at my club). Devastating damage by the shockwaves.

Your just jealous because I've been chatting online with babes all day!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page