Frizzen question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Frizzen question

New to flintlocks. I picked up a 45 cal TC Hawkens last year. Just purchased english 3/4x7/8 flints by Tom Fuller. I don't believe I am getting the spark that I should. The gun's frizzen is a bit rough and I read that it should be smooth. If true, how does one polish it to a smooth finish?

A promise made is a debt unpaid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Re: Frizzen question

You may have better results if you purchase a Lyman frizzen to replace the existing frizzen. The frizzen should be fairly smooth. Do your flints seem to chip apart at the ends where it hits the frizzen? your frizzen can be re-hardened but a lot of guys go with the Lyman. The lyman may need a little filing to fit bit not a big deal.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 PM

Yes, the frizzen face should be smooth. Couple of things. First try to determine if the frizzen face is hardened as it should be. To check for proper hardness use a small and finely toothed metal file to try to make a mark on the face. If you can mark the face without much work then the face is too soft which means you should get a new frizzen or try to harden it yourself with Kasenet (SP?). As for smoothing the face; I used use a fine sanding drum on a Dremmel to knock down the sharp edges that would sometimes populate the face of the friszzens on my front stuffers.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
You may have better results if you purchase a Lyman frizzen to replace the existing frizzen. The frizzen should be fairly smooth. Do your flints seem to chip apart at the ends where it hits the frizzen? your frizzen can be re-hardened but a lot of guys go with the Lyman. The lyman may need a little filing to fit bit not a big deal.
Flints don't seem to chip apart but I have noticed I cause the frizzen to "scuff up" when dry firing it. I bought the new flints and dried fired a couple times to see how much spark I was getting and noticed the frizzen was getting roughed up.

A promise made is a debt unpaid.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 PM

Being A .45 Caliber Your T/C is an early production that had A soft, shallow Case hardened Frizzen on It. Also the Hammer Geometry, Flint is hitting straight on the Frizzen instead of scraping It, Is off. Used to be able to send the Lock o T/C and they would replace It. Don`t know It that Is still possible?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think there's going to be a lot of frustration trying to make that frizzen work. Been there done that. At the least, get the replacement frizzen. If TC will replace the entire lock, that's better yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page