in line loads - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

in line loads

im interested in how many guys out there with in lines shoot 150 gr. of powder.i shoot only 100gr.and its very rare to have the bullet exit the deer.i use 240gr,powerbelts.i never lost a deer yet but i have had to track a few a good distance even with a good shot.Im getting older now and,its getting harder for me to track a deer with no blood.
i also have a firestorm flintlock and have the same proble useing only 2 pellets.im really leaning to trying 3 this year.any input would be great. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: in line loads

I have a .50cal encore and shoot 100grains with a 250 grain shockwave and all but 1 of the 8 deer it has laid down have been pass throughs. The one the wasn't was hit in the shoulder perfectly broadside bullet entered and made a right and turn and ended up in the opposite side rear ham after travling down through the chest cavity. Never seen a bullet do that before that day.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:31 PM

And guys shooting flinters with 70 or 80 grains say they get complete pass throughs with round balls. In the latter part of the 19th century, hunters used 70 grains and 500 grain bullets for one shot kills to 400 yds on Buffalo. It is hard to imagine why the guys with in-lines seem to need elephant loads to down a 100 lb white tail. 150 grains of propellant is bordering on suicidal. Perhaps a heavier bullet and less powder. Any flat nose light weight bullet will decelerate from air resistance faster than other projectiles. The minimum bullet most BPCR shooters would consider for a 45-70 with less than 70 grains of powder is a 310 grain bullet and most would use a 400 grain bullet. I never heard of a hunter having trouble putting down a white tail with a 45-70. I would suggest sticking with the current powder charge and trying a heavier bullet. Assuming your gun is a 50 cal. the 250 grain bullet is barely heavier than a round ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by chez
im interested in how many guys out there with in lines shoot 150 gr. of powder.i shoot only 100gr.and its very rare to have the bullet exit the deer.i use 240gr,powerbelts.i never lost a deer yet but i have had to track a few a good distance even with a good shot.Im getting older now and,its getting harder for me to track a deer with no blood.
i also have a firestorm flintlock and have the same proble useing only 2 pellets.im really leaning to trying 3 this year.any input would be great. thanks
Whats the diferance between a shock wave and a super glide shock wave?
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I shoot and hunt with inlines quite often, they are one of my favorite rifles that i use, and i have tried mant different combinations of powder and bullets over the years.

With that being said, inlines are really no different that your regular centerfire rifle or handgun when it comes to "terminal" performance. Just because you stuff 150 grns of powder down the barrel doesnt mean it will kill any better than 90 or 100 grains. In the end it is the performance of the projectile you are useing that dictates energy transfer, and internal damage causing a quick death.

In my expierience the powerbelts have not performed very well for me as far as holding deer for whatever reason. My goto bullet now is the hornady sst ballistic tip with their sabbot. They are 250 grains and will anchor a deer in its tracks out of my knight long range hunter, and 100 grains of powder.

I still use the old tc maxi hunters (lead) out of my .54 knight mk85, and 110 grains of FFG behind it, they also do very well. One thing i have learned is if you dump too much powder down the barrel, alot of it gets wasted because the ignition system is not hot enough to burn it all up before it exits the barrel. This is very evident when shooting wih snow on the ground, about 4 feet infront of your barrel you will see unburnt powder grains laying ontop of the snow.

What im trying to say is more is not always better, try and find a well built bullet in 250-300 grn and stick with what ever powder charge that shoots the most accurate and go from there. Muzzleloaders are not that much different than handloading for a centerfire rifle, adjust your powder charges, bullet weights, bullet styles until you find what works, it can be a little time consuming, and maybe a little expensive in the beginning but once you find that winning combo then you will always have it.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:54 PM
The Man

Black powder has a high percentage of debris. It's just byproducts...it's just dirty shooting powder. A fair amount of that trash goes out the barrel.

Not at all saying that what is seen on snow a few feet from the barrel isn't unburnt powder because it could be. Everyone who sees those black particles and thinks OH! OH!, just take into account that the trash is going to be there too. Of course, the more powder, the more trash is expended too.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

110 grains of Blackhorn 209 behind a 250 T/C Shockwave out of my Encore and its a killing machine out to 250+ yds.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken66
110 grains of Blackhorn 209 behind a 250 T/C Shockwave out of my Encore and its a killing machine out to 250+ yds.
Same here except I use 105gr!

16/17 deer season:

Wet butt so far
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 PM

I have terrible blood trails with the shockwaves, they seem to be jacketed to thick. The entry hole is the same as the exist.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 PM
New Arrival

The sabot itself is different. The super glide is a yellow cup and they post some fancy stuff about easier loading etc. Bullets are the same. The only other difference that I know of is bonded and not bonded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page