New to Pa - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New to Pa

I'm comming home in one year! I haven't hunted Pa in a long time. I understand Pa has a muzzle loading season. Is this tradition ML or is it open to inline ML? If it's traditional can you use cap and ball? Is there a caliber restriction or bullet type restriction, ie sabots?

There's no place like home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New to Pa

Pennsylvania offers two special seasons for muzzleloaders. The first is a one week season in October allowing any single-barrel muzzleloading long gun with flintlock, percussion or in-line ignition, .44 cal. or larger, or .50 cal. or larger handgun. Scope sights are permitted. This season is an antlerless season only. A muzzleloader stamp is required.

The second, and most unique season, is Pennsylvania's two week Flintlock Muzzleloader Season, and is always after Christmas. This is flintlock ignition only using single-barrel long guns, .44 cal. or larger, or .50 cal. or larger handguns using single projectile ammunition only. It is unlawful to use telescopic sights, but peep sights are permitted. A muzzleloader stamp is required, and allows the harvest of a buck or doe.

Welcome back!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
A muzzleloader stamp is required, and allows the harvest of a buck or doe.
What Berks said, but a slight spec. You must have an unfilled Buck Tag (comes with General License) to take a Buck. And of course must have an unfilled Antlerless Tag OR unfilled Buck Tag to take Antlerless.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Us old fellows with our Senior Combo Licenses, tend to gloss over a lot of important stuff, and it doesn't only apply to hunting!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

And, depending on where you hunt, that after-Christmas season can run till the 4th Sat. in January.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

OK this is good! I have a NEF Handi Rifle with 13 barrels including 50 cal ML and 12 guage slug! I've always wanted a 45 cal Hawkin kit and this sounds like a good excuse to buy one. Since my eye sight isn't what it use to be Williams peep sites will be ordered with that.

There's no place like home
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 12:18 PM

welcome to the forum!! and an early welcome back HOME!

like was said we have 2 different muzzleloading seasons...

if you go with a caplock or inline you can use it in the october doe season with a doe tag for the area youre hunting...and you can use it during the 2 week firearm (most of us call it rifle season...but bows, crossbows, and most muzzleloaders are allowed)

if you do get a flintlock you can hunt with it in the late flintlock season after Christmas...as well as in October and the regular firearm season...

the late flintlock season is a special season and can be an awesome time of year to hunt..and making smoke with flint n steel is just awesome...

learning to shoot and hunt with a flintlock can be a bit challenging but once you learn to shoot it accurately and learn how to keep your powder dry and keep it going off quickly and consistently they are very capable deer killers!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Freezer, another addition. MAKE SURE you understand the regulations. I can't speak to other states, but to me, PA has complicated regulations. Well, to me, complicated in the sense that there are so many different one's for so many different type of seasons. This includes the "Flo. Orange" regs also. For instance, you do not have to wear Flo Orange in the late flinter season. I believe it is the ONLY Deer season you do not have to... including Archery ? which I believe you need to wear Orange whilst moving around ?

Anyhow, some may chide that the regs. are quite simple, but not to me. So that said, any questions you have, go to the "Laws and Regulations" forum on here and ask.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 06:08 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

You only need orange in archery (early archery) during overlaps with early doe/ml season and small game season, and if I'm not mistaken, the orange can be removed once on stand as long as it's posted within a certain distance of your position and visible for 360 degrees.

For late archery/ML, no orange required.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page