170 yards with my HAWKEN - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

170 yards with my HAWKEN

FINALLY got out today. Wind wasn't TOOOO bad at 12mph, I would have shot at least 1 more but after all the cool down time, checking targets, resetting the target due to it falling and of course my favorite... swabbing between shots, the wind picked up to strong to shoot comfortably.

One thing I learned today, when shooting a white paper target with a black bulls eye, put on dark sun glasses! I did this on my 3rd and final shot and was blown away at how easy the target was for me to see, no blurry fuzzy target!

I did have some trouble with a tree aprox 100 yards in front of me, it has grown a lot over the past 3 years and the branches were blocking my 170 yard target in a normal, comfortable shooting position, I had to slide all the way over to the edge of my shooting table and sit with one cheek hanging off the edge which is NOT comfortable!

This rifle CONTINUES to shock the heck out of me with the accuracy she produces even at long ranges.

100gr Goex 2f
.570" Hornady round ball
.020" patch lubed with Mink Oil
Remington #11 percussion caps

A post is NEVER complete without showin some good looks. The rifle is fairly good looking as well.

Shots 1 and 3 are Aprox 3" apart. I give shot #2 my fault as I am using my own swabbing solution and it caused a slight hang fire which I heard right away. Once I order more balls, Its on again!

Very pleased to see that I have 2 more adjustment notches left and that MIGHT get me darn close to 200 yards when I get the chance to shoot that range.

I have some big 17" shoot n see targets ordered so we'll see how those work out as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 170 yards with my HAWKEN

they sell orange and white targets also which are easier to see bullet holes at longer ranges...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

yep I got some 17" shoot n see targets coming in from birchwood casey to try out. So far though, this worked out great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:24 PM

Was the 12 mph a crosswind blowing to the left? I've had 10mph blow .530's 4-5" at 125 yards.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

yes it was to the left.

4-5 at 125 sounds right. I know at 200 yards i'll be 17" if i have a 10mph side wind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page