shooting the lyman deerstalker - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

shooting the lyman deerstalker

will be picking it up next week...50 cal. flintlock. what do I need as far as powder, loads etc....my one buddy says powerbelts, my other buddy says a spit patch with a 1/48 roundball? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Re: shooting the lyman deerstalker

I would use 2f in the barrel and 4f in the pan. Some guys use 3f for both but use a little less in the barrel. I would start at 80 grains of 2f with a patch with wonderlube and a round ball. Shoot for a consistent group then adjust your sights for zero. You only need about 1/3 to half a pan full of powder. If you use too much you can get a delay in the barrel firing. Round balls are cheaper than Powerbelts to shoot and will do just fine on a deer as long as you do your part. Have fun!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 PM
The Man

Good read for you.

http://www.cherrytreefamily.com/muzzledixon.htm

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

.490 round ball .015 lubed patch 90gr FF or 80 gr FFF
FFFF in the pan

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredusne8
.490 round ball .015 lubed patch 90gr FF or 80 gr FFF
FFFF in the pan
I use the same. Tried PowerBelts and went back to patched round balls. I get better accuracy and they are easy to pull if you don't want discharge by firing.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

Definitely start with the RB's and get the feel and routine down solid. Lots of combinations out there to try. PB's have been superb in the deerstalker we have producing 1" groups at 50 and 1.5" groups at 100. Good luck!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Congrats on your new gun. I would start by using 50 grains of powder 2F or 3F and work your way up to find the best load. try .015 patches first and see how that works. In my flinter I use 60 grains of 3F with a 015 pillow tick patch and 4F in the pan. This combo is for the range or at my muzzleloader matches. for hunting purposes I will increase to 80 gr. of 3F for my load. The fun part of all this, is finding the load/combo that works best for you.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 11:24 AM

I bought a .54 flint deerstalker a few years back and I love that dang rifle. I would keep it before any of my black powder rifles if I were to start selling a few off.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 01:52 PM

No reason to start with full hunting loads, As Buckstalker said, start with 40 or 50 grains of powder. I would suggest 2f in the bore and 4f in the pan. But with moderate loads, 3f is acceptable in both. Many shooters have trouble getting over the flash from a flint or the poof of a cap going off, no reason at all to make the reaction worse by starting with heavy loads.

Most important is concentrating on follow through. Seasoned flint shooters concentrate so heavily on the sight picture that they don't notice the flash anymore.
Try your best to hold completely still for a count of four after the shot.

Flinters have a few tricks to loading that make shots more consistent. When you load, after pouring in the powder, use the ball of your hand to bump the side of the gun a few times. This settles the charge powder into the touch hole channel and helps speed ignition. Also, don't fill the pan with prime powder. It actually slows down ignition. The bottom of the pan should barely be covered with prime powder. Many beginners buy those cut/sawn expensive flints. In my opinion, they do not spark as reliably as a good gray/black English flint. When the frizzen is closed and the hammer (cock) is at half cock, the lead edge of the flint should be just a millimeter or two away from the frizzen face.

The patch-ball combination should not be so tight that you bruise your palm on the ball starter, but there should be some force required to start the ball. Unlike many shooters, I have good results using a heavy cotton flannel for patch material instead of that tightly woven drill that most use.

Trying to describe all the nuances of loading a flint lock could take volumes and you would learn faster in 5 minutes by watching shooters at a black powder match.

Powerbelts and other conical bullets are fine for shallow rifling. But if you have round ball rifling, they won't work that well or might even be impossible to load. On the other hand, round balls do not do well in shallow fast twist rifling meant for conical bullets.

What riling does your gun have?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 02:54 PM
The Man

I agree with Zim! If you will notice, people in this sport experiment to find what is right for themselves and their firearm. If someone doesn't have an experimenting type of soul, they will not have a good, or long lasting experience.

I will add. You can not practice off hand shooting enough. Shooting from a bench has it's place in the order of things, but to become good at this sport, you have to master off hand shooting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page