Need recommendations for load. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Need recommendations for load.

Guyís,

I have a spring bear hunt scheduled for May in New Brunswick. Last spring I took a bear up there with my crossbow and have decided to use my TC Renegade 50 cal. for this springs hunt. While I took quite a few deer with this gun back in the 80ís and 90ís, I havenít hunted with it or even shot it in a long time. This is a cap gun, not a flintlock. My deer load in the gun was 80 gr. FFG black powder behind a 275 gr. TC Maxi-Hunter and CCI #11 caps. Iíll be sighting in from scratch anyway because I just replaced the TC receiver sight with a real nice Williams receiver sight and am looking for some recommendations for a load for this hunt. Iíve picked up 350 gr. Maxi-Hunters I intended to use but am not stuck on them.

My main question is about switching to a BP substitute such as Pyrodex or equivalent. Do any of you have experience using a BP substitute in a #11 cap gun? Iím concerned about ignition problems with a substitute but would really like to switch over from BP if possible. Also wanted to know if 80 gr. of either BP or substitute is a good starting place with the 350 gr. ball, or if I should start with a little heavier load for that big slug? Is the 350 Maxi-Hunter a good slug for this purpose? Weíre talking close shooting, 50 yards or less.

loridr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 PM

Re: Need recommendations for load.

The load you used for deer is fairly equivalent to the buffalo loads of the 1870's. It should be good for bear as well, especially at such close range.

Some substitutes do not give the same consistency from load to load as black. Some subs do burn about 15% hotter in pressure and velocity than black. I see no reason to change to a sub, unless Canadian regs prohibit black.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:28 PM
New Arrival

I have a .54 renegade, use to use 430 grain maxie and 100 grains of pyrodex select. Caplock gun - Never missed a beat. The only thing I don't like about the maxie is that they drill a hole in and out no expansion, consequently no blood trail. I went to a 240 grain bullet with thompson center 3 piece sabot - devestating heavy blood trail, They shot 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards with 100 grain of pyrodex select. Hawk Presision Bullets have 44 cal bullets 265 grain and up with MMP sabots for a fifty. I have some 240 grain and 265 grain bullets to try out of my CVA Accura when it warms up, The bullets look pretty good. I believe they might have something you could use. They have .429 - .430 : .451 - .452 and .498 - .500 sabots. They have bullets for all the sabots mentioned. I believe they have bullets for .50 cal up to 400 grains, Flat Point and Hollow Point. Good luck with your gun. If you try some of the Hawk bullets let me know how they shoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

why change what has been working for you? that combo should be fine for your bear hunt.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder
why change what has been working for you? that combo should be fine for your bear hunt.
I guess the only reason I'm thinking of getting away from BP is that I've gotten used to shooting various substitutes in my in-lines. Far as the bullet, figured that since I've got to re-sight the gun anyway with the new sights I may as well use a different bullet if there was something out there that's better for this purpose.

That said, I think d.winsor has a good point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.winsor
The only thing I don't like about the maxie is that they drill a hole in and out no expansion, consequently no blood trail.
I don't want to shoot a sabot out of the period gun, but it might be a good idea to find something that expands well. I wonder if the Renegade would shoot a Powerbelt well? I've got a mess of them since I shoot them in my Omega.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 01:17 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I took a bear in Maine a couple years ago with a 245 aerotip Powerbelt. Thats my all purpose bullet. Hog, deer, bear, antelope. All have fallen without issues. Good expanison and penetration on the bear at about 30yds. Ran about 50yds.

I also shoot synthetic but mine is a flinter so I won't bother you with those details! Good Luck!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page