Bird Box (Netflix) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Bird Box (Netflix)

The premise is stupid; the acting is stilted; the sub-plot is predictable; there is little continuity in terms of costumes and scenery; and the ending does not close up any lose ends and in fact presents a "conclusion" that is not only unexplained but is not even remotely realistic even in the wildest of imaginations.

How this production is garnering so many good reviews is a mystery to me.
Sojourner48 and DIYASUB like this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Banned

I just watched Bird Box and thought it was pretty good. Its science fiction, so how realistic could it be? As you said, a lot of good reviews, can they all be wrong? Id give it three out of four stars.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

I finally broke down and watched it yesterday... Only thing I can think is that they are demon's and it really is supposed to be the end of times. That said; I do not fully get the story line. These things obviously can touch physical objects (tracker line the girl used to find way back to boat, Etc) se why can't they just attack people? Also, the ending absolutely sucked! Ok, so a school for the blind might be tough for the creatures to drive nuts, but what about the non-blind people in there? And if they aren't a solid creature, then why can't they float over into the courtyard? Honestly, I was kinda expecting the safe place to be a monastery or church or such.... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Banned

Many times sci-fI movies end with the heros figuring out the aliens weakness and defeating them and everybody lives happily ever after. In Bird Box they left the ending open for a possible sequel.

As far as the sighted people at the home for the blind, I think the courtyard they entered had an opaque cover over it, light could come in but they couldn’t see out.

IIRC, 45 million have viewed it on Netflix.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 AM

its the same premise as "The Happening" with Mark wahlberg, their is an invisible something or other in the wind. when the wind blows and you are outside, you commit suicide. i dont believe they ever explained that one either.

i think the bird box is a different spin on that movie.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My wife and I watched it the other night. Both of us were left flat with the ending. I'll also agree that I thought that the premise of the movie was stupid. That being said, it was reasonably entertaining.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:19 PM

and it has the same sub plot as all disaster movies. there are always evil mobs running around killing people and taking what they want instead of combining resources and working together.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:44 AM
New Arrival

Watched it yesterday. I did not feel satisfied. The movie was nothing out of the ordinary.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:34 AM

It helps the entertainment factor if you watch it on New Year's Eve when you are... slightly inebriated But seriously I thought it was at least half decent, if not a bit cliche. I'll admit the blind school ending was kind of odd, but at least it kind of makes sense to me. I mean, they also explained that the birds go crazy whenever the 'things' come around, so the sighted people have time to move indoors, and the blind people can't see to be driven crazy, so they are able to stay in the courtyard all the time. That's what I gathered anyway. I wouldn't give it top marks in any particular category, but I thought it was at least half decent across the board.
bohunr likes this.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The monster in the movie is suicide and mental illness personified.

The only ones immune to them are those mentally ill. They want everyone to know what it's like to want to take your own life and hear voices.
Without any indepth info about the monsters the characters are left figuratively and literally blind.
Why can no-one see the monster? Because mental illness and suicide have no face.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page