Looking at Commissary purchases entilted for disabled veterans - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Lightbulb Looking at Commissary purchases entilted for disabled veterans

I would like to urge everyone that carries a VHIC Veterans Health Identification Card to use the commissary for purchases.
The money used at the commissary is given back to our military that are out in the field.

Yes you will be surcharged at the commissary .05% percent. However you will not pay any sales tax. However I'm going to use an example just to show you how you will save big bucks on your food purchases from the commissary..

First off when you travel to the commissary make out a shopping list. It does appear that everything is about 32% cheaper then the local grocery stores in your neighborhood.

I'm going to use a yogurt that my wife likes to buy in the Commissary and the our local Pa Giant Market. In the commissary the yogurt cost $.99 and in the Giant market the same yogurt cost $1.49. Now the commissary will surcharge you at check out .05% on that yogurt. so that yogurt at the commissary will cost you $1.04 each. However Giant + $1.49 minus the $1.04. you are saving $.45 cents per yogurt even when your being surcharge .05% This money is probably used to pay workers to stock the shelves and such. However please use your purchases to give it back to our military that is out in the filed defending our country. Plus you make weekly or monthly runs to the commissary you are going to save some big bucks at the end of the year. kind of like getting a raise in your pay check. The meat is all good and think about it 32% cheaper than your local Pa food store...TV diners for $.99 each etc... Serve our troops by buying in the commissary if your entitled to it.. Save those $$$$$$$$$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I am so blessed now that I live by Carlisle Barracks in SCPA. God has been good and so has our existing president..
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
I have no VA rating, so I don't have Commissary privileges. While overseas as a civilian I had full privileges, and after buying most of our everyday needs groceries from the commissaries for almost 15 years, I cringe when shopping at the local stores. Even Walmart grocery prices are painful in comparison.
If you guys can take advantage of this new benefit, you definitely should. Almost makes me wish I'd have gotten hurt while on active duty. Almost....
uncle buck likes this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Strawberries $1.68 a package. T bond steak..$5, Please if your entitled to it use it. You deserved it. All you have to have is a VHIC. Veterans Health Identification Card showing you have a disability from the military.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The Commissary will surcharge you but the price of the items are most times always cheaper then you would be in a store. Now Congress…. You know who control congress right now. Is looking to allow the Commissary stores to use the surcharge to pay the employees of the Commissary.. See right now that Surcharge is being used to upgrade everything in all the commissary stores , their computer system, structures etc. See right now Congress pays the commissary employees. The good Ole Congress wants to take your Surcharge of 5% and pay the employees instead of them using money from the treasury to pay the employees... So looks like we probably will still being surcharged but again the Congress wants that money that you pay for building up keep so they won't have to use money that they have been paying government employees all these years. Remember this we do need a new Congress in the New Year. Not one now that will take your money and use it else were. Oh you know how they took Civil Service retirement money and Social Security Retirement funds and use it else were. Oh by the way this is always the Democrats.. Just so you know this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I found one type of Pepridge farm 7 grain light bread that was cheaper at BJ discount store then in the Commissary.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2020, 08:02 PM
The Man

A friend of my late uncle on moms side of the family use go up to Carlisle commissary . he was a POW from ww2.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
The Man

The Commissary Surcharge, What is it? Could it Be Going Away?
http://militaryshoppers.com/the-comm...be-going-away/
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 06:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use to serve the Commissary in Carlisle. I had a Voortman Cookie franchise. It was the big bins where you could pick out what flavors you wanted and paid for it by the pound. They basically sold stuff at cost plus 5%. It was my largest account on the route.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post

"the commissary surcharge could be going away per a Pentagon proposal." Not Congress. Not Democrats. But the Pentagon.

Why would the Pentagon do this? Oh wait the current POTUS cut the military budget and took money from that Budget to use to build a wall that blew down.

Put the blame where it belongs.

Now thank you for that article which shows where your bias is blinding you. Only Congress can stop this proposal. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page