PGC/DCNR have veterans preference for hiring? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Right to Bear
  • 1 Post By Windsniffer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I know for federal jobs, there's a slight advantage in the application process if you are a veteran or disabled veteran. Mostly, it just ensures your resume gets past HR, and is at least in the consideration pile.

Does anyone know if PA has something similar? It's a dream to work for the state doing a job that gets me out in the woods.

I've heard these jobs are extremely hard to get, and many people are competing for relatively few jobs.

Last edited by Paddy-06; 09-15-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes they do.
If two people are up for the same job and one has military experience the other does not, then if all else is the same the vet gets preference. The key words though is, all else is the same.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

For state employment veterans get an additional 10 points on the exam portion of the civil service exam, for whatever job they intend to apply for. If the veteran scores a 75, then he or she will have a score of 85. If the cut off for applicants applying for the job is an 80 or higher then he or she will now make the list to be interviewed. After that, the interview portion determines who gets the job.
jimbridger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 02:36 PM

good information to know, thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy-06 View Post
I know for federal jobs, there's a slight advantage in the application process if you are a veteran or disabled veteran. Mostly, it just ensures your resume gets past HR, and is at least in the consideration pile.

Does anyone know if PA has something similar? It's a dream to work for the state doing a job that gets me out in the woods.

I've heard these jobs are extremely hard to get, and many people are competing for relatively few jobs.
For the state, that is not quite the way it works. Veterans receive 10 additional points added to whatever their written score is on the written test. That can help them get past the first testing process. They have changed the oral testing procedure since I tested in 1975, it used to be you had to appear in person before a board of testers who would question you about your back ground and your outdoor experience what you know abut the job etc, then they would or could asked follow up questions. If you make that cut you must take a intensive physical and swim test, I am pretty sure you have to go to State College for the physical now, when I took it it was in downtown HBG. After that they make the final cut and select the trainees to attend the school. As I said, I went through the process in 1975 but at that time if a veteran and a non vet are very close to each other in the written and oral testing combined for the final score, the vet will be selected unless something pops up in the intensive background check. It is a long process and after the oral board testing Two supervising officers from the regional office that is responsible for where you live in the state will make an appointment to come to your home and interview you again and speak to your wife if you are married, to make sure she understands what the job is. That extra 10 points is nice to have but it is not the keys to the kingdom.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

DCNR hiring procedures are not precisely the same as those for the PGC. DCNR follows the Pa State Civil Service Commission practices without the PGC's physicals and rounds of interviews. As per the PA State Civil Service Commission's Web Page:
"When a qualified and eligible veteran is ranked in the top three highest available job seekers on a civil service list or an alternative number as approved by the PA Office of Administration, non-veterans may not be considered for appointment from that list."

That means that, if a veteran appears in the top three scores (even if having gotten there by benefit of the ten point bonus on the written test), all non-veterans (regardless of education and training) are eliminated from consideration. Think about that in terms of an employer trying to get the best candidate for the job. This isn't to say that veterans aren't deserving of some consideration, but is it completely fair to a non-veteran who busted his/her hump in acquiring a college degree and specialized training for a specific career to be completely stricken from consideration in this way?

Now, don't get your britches in a bunch. I have the deepest respect for vets and have participated in recognition/award programs for them. I mentioned the above merely to complete the picture for the OP.
Coureur De Bois likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page