Every Veteran should put in for VA Health Insurance - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Lightbulb Every Veteran should put in for VA Health Insurance

Even if you have good health insurance now and would not qualify for VA health care.. Best to put in for it now... See you will already be in the file.. Things can happen over night... Let me use an example: Just say you and your wife are both Vets... OK today your alive. You die tomorrow... Now your wife doesn't have your income... She will probably qualify for VA Health Benefits because now your $$$$$$$ family take home qualified her to be covered by the Va.

Sadly when you work with the VA to there will be many follow up phone calls you will have to make.. Best to get in the file now...

Remember they do have Long Term Care and even Vet homes... So you might not qualify for LTC now but things happen and now you do.

They are concerned now that many of us have been exposed to Lead Paint and Asbestos... If you were in a old Barracks or on a ship that was built prior to 1970. Best make sure that is added to your VA Health File...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 PM

Outstanding advice Buck!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 01:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hey Buck/USAFRET,

The one thing I harp on while advising a warrior who may be pending retirement or, the end of their military service contract, concerns the completeness and accuracy of their medical record. You two probably know as well as I do, "more" is definitely better. If there is any doubt IRT to a past, present or future medical concern, then there is no doubt. Don't walk out until it is documented in some way, shape or form. Once you are into the VA health system and if a issue was not documented prior, don't count on squat anytime soon for that particular issue.

I talk to most of them in nausea about the importance of insuring that their medical record has documented "everything", no matter how petty. How many times has the "tough guy syndrome" come back to screw you. Shot records; most of us took some pretty strange "stuff" and in my case, occasionally even the Doc/Corpsman wasn't entirely sure what it was.

Buck, if you have a "one stop shop" or a "single source document" link regarding access to a specific website link that you are using to educate yourself for the topics you presented above, it would make it easier for those who might be considering same. Knowledge is definitely power for this kind of effort.

Be safe and be well.

S/F,

Chaos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 PM

Chaos, spot on information. I still work with a lot of military, some I've known for 20 years and was their NCOIC when they came in. I always express how important making sure everything is documented in the medical records. I also brief them on the importance of getting an appointment with the VSO. The VSO will go through the medical records line by line and highlight all conditions and forward to the VA.

Also, a lot of the younger guys think the VFW, Legion, etc are just a bar filled with a bunch of drunks smoking cigars. These outstanding organizations are vital in protecting our rights on Capital Hill. I also explain how they will oversee your VA disability claims regardless if your a member a not.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I called the Va to get my history of being exposed to Lead Paint and Asbestos.. The lady said just come in for a physical.. Do I really have to do all of that...Of course I was injured in the CG. They told be back in 72 I didn't lose enough of my arm... LOL.. actually it was my finger... A little jest. I guess I should of for another physical... I have issues now from being in the South Pacific.. So Maybe just maybe I can give them the finger that I lost and now it counts..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
The Man

By the way watch what you say during your exam... I know of a guy they asked him did you ever consider killing yourself. He said maybe a time or two.. They put him in for observations.. His wife had to go and get him released.. Watch what you say to them..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Go on the Va. gov web site and do a 10EZ form to get the ball rolling for your to be considered for the Va Health Program.. Best to add the $$$$$$ question you make just so you don't end into bottle necks..Oh in about 5 weeks you will get a thing in the mail telling you that your in the health file now but it will give you different levels of care you will be ok for. Most with$$$$ will only be in the health system.. but remember what I said important to get into the system now things change...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page