Did you hunt and fish while in Miliary? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Question Did you hunt and fish while in Miliary?

You can just imagine the fishing a person would do if they served in the Coast Guard.. So glad I hunted ducks in Texas and fished all of my free time when I was stationed in the South Pacific and the Gulf of Mexico... No one can take that away from you... Fishing around the Oil rigs was just awesome!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:45 AM
Regular Visitor

USAF 1991-1995 I fished wielberg stream near Wiesbaden Germany. I had to take classes just to get a German fishing license. I rented a house on a farm in Delaware with permission to bow hunt the fall of 1994 and got deployed to Port Au Prince Haiti and never got to hunt it. I made it home once in four years to hunt the first couple of days of deer in the Allegheny National Forest. A group of us took a few trips to the Smoke Hole in West Virginia a couple of times between other trips overseas.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Stationed at Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY. Excellent grouse hunting locally, and good deer hunting within an hour's drive. On every TDY to CONUS locations (of which there were many) my fishing gear went with me. Even took a shotgun with me to Minot AFB, ND, but never got the chance to hunt birds while there. We did partake in the excellent walleye fishing each weekend!

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:49 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
On hunting yes and no. I didn't hunt with a firearm at my first duty station. I was station at RAF Fairford in the UK in 1985-86. I was in the security police and we also patrolled RAF Little Risington which was about 25 miles from Fairford. L.R. wasn't in use so a lot of the flight lines and what not were overgrown. Hares, rabbits and pheasants every where. Several times I ran into local English guys hunting with what they called catapults and we call slingshots. Wasn't long until there was 5 of us heading up there on our off time hunting. We had a ball once we learned to hit any thing. Amazing what a powerful slingshot will do when you know how to use it. I still shoot slingshots to this day and took 8th place out of 28 shooters in the US. championship in 2012. Or was that 2010? Geeze I'm getting old.

Later station at Pease AFB in N.H. I did a lot of hunting and fishing. Hunted Maine as well. Had a great time all around.

Later in the Army....well, different times and very serious, had no fun at all.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Regular Visitor

Any year I could. Now since I am so close to PA it makes it 10x easier. I like the 3 day doe season in October for active duty.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

I've fished Saddam's lakes in Downtown Baghdad on Victory Base Camp when I was there on missions with downtime. I only ever caught a couple of carp.

Our main base was about 20 km's east of baghdad so true desert area. Nothing but dirt and scrub brush as far as the eye could see. My CSM was a big hunter so every once in a while me and him would head out at night around the base to do "security patrols" and we would use thermal scopes to shoot jackals and other small game. That was alot of fun, almost made you forget you were in Iraq haha. The one time I totally drove the humvee into a ditch too, It took us about an hour to dig it out. No way were we calling the recovery guys. We never would have heard the end of how the LT got a humvee stuck with the CSM in the turret shooting jackals 3 km from base.....
BCozhunter likes this.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:52 PM

Was fortunate enough to be stationed in Alaska for 16 years.
BCozhunter likes this.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghxcsoul View Post
I've fished Saddam's lakes in Downtown Baghdad on Victory Base Camp when I was there on missions with downtime. I only ever caught a couple of carp.

Our main base was about 20 km's east of baghdad so true desert area. Nothing but dirt and scrub brush as far as the eye could see. My CSM was a big hunter so every once in a while me and him would head out at night around the base to do "security patrols" and we would use thermal scopes to shoot jackals and other small game. That was alot of fun, almost made you forget you were in Iraq haha. The one time I totally drove the humvee into a ditch too, It took us about an hour to dig it out. No way were we calling the recovery guys. We never would have heard the end of how the LT got a humvee stuck with the CSM in the turret shooting jackals 3 km from base.....
That is a cool story! And yes, if you were an LT at the time the jokes would be flying! Heck, now that you let the cat out of the bag the jokes might still come.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:42 PM

Not much hunting. I did fish a lot around the Norfolk, Virginia Beach area. The bays, bridges, and inlet areas.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 02:50 PM
The Man

I hunted and fished pretty much every place I went TDY stateside. Hunted Maine for bears, South Dakota for deer, PA and NY for deer and small game. Heck I even hunted in the weapon storage area at Ellsworth AFB, sharpened nails to a razor edge, wrapped them in a paper cone and used a piece of 1/2" EMT as a blow gun, MPs took awhile to get used to some dude creeping around the weapon storage area hunting jack rabbits and ground squirrels.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page