The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Worst uniform - ever.

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  WildTigerTrout 
#1 ·
We all had to wear uniforms and be compliant with whatever the Uniform Of The Day was; and be sharp at all times. But in our collective military experiences, no matter the length and circumstances, what was the WORST / MOST UNCOMFORTABLE / HARDEST TO MAINTAIN uniform you had to wear and why was it so?

I have one in mind but will hold off on it pending responses.

#2 · (Edited)
I hated putting my full dress uniform so I could fly back home on Military Stand by from Ft Jackson on Eastern Airlines, they would not let you wear fatigues. It had to be that tight, stuffy dress uni with a tie chocking your neck...Although I was proud to be wearing the uniform, I could not wait to get it off when I arrived home....

#8 ·
Our training requirement was to perform our job in full MOPP 8 hours per year. Our unit usually broke that up into two or three periods. Except I was TDY so often I had to do it all at once, and it was always July or August! I swear I lost about 10 pounds on those days, just in sweat.

#9 ·
Well you guys got me beat with that MOPP gear and I feel like an old goat because my answer (to myself) is the heavily starched khaki uniforms that wrinkled at the slightest movement, were hot as H**l (they did NOT breathe at all) and wilted so much that in South Carolina you needed to count on 2 x sets a day to look fresh. We were delighted when the orders came down to "survey" them.

I wonder if they still "spit shine" leather gear in the military?

#11 ·
I always liked the seafarers... I got out of the Coast Guard and used them until they wore out ... Worked for Uncle a bit in the ware house ... Now not the ones they military gave you... The ones you would buy with the neat bell bottom on it...

I was glad that the Coast Guard gave us a Donald Duck hat to wear ... Everyone would think you were in the Navy when you wore a Dixie Cup... We did use the Dixies for work...

#16 ·
My dress blues... In the Navy the pants had thirteen buttons on them.... When I was at Camp Lejeune, I didn't wqear the "Marine Reg Uniform" I chose to keep my Navy standards, and wear our own uniform. Since I was a line corpsman with a grunt unit, I always went to the Marine Ball every year with my fellas. I was their doctor, psychologist and sometimes when need be, their chaplain. Anyway, this uniform was not Alcohol Intake Friendly when you gotta hit the head!

#21 ·
Full starched cotton fatigues. They could stand up almost by themselves. Very uncomfortable but they did look sharp. Most comfortable? The original woodland BDU's. These came out about a year before I got out. You mean I don't have to tuck in my shirt or starch them! Yea!:grin2:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.