Guidance issued on ships built prior to 1970 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods walker
  • 1 Post By treemouse
  • 1 Post By BCozhunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Angry Guidance issued on ships built prior to 1970

The Coast Guard has alerted all previous Vet that if anyone served on CG Cutter built after 1970 that they need to place something in their civilian and Va health record to that fact... Asbestos and Lead poison is what they are concerned about... I'm sure the same applies for U. S. Navy Vessels too.. By the way they tore down our barracks at Barbers point Air Station because it was filled with asbestos... So it not only applies to ship too... now that probably cover the other 3 armed forces too... Asbestos used in buildings...??????????????????????????????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:12 PM
Sage

I was in the Navy from 1964 to 1968. I served on board a ship from 1965 to 1968. I can assure you all the steam pipes and hot water pipes were insulated with asbestos and the steam valves were covered with asbestos blankets. I spent several months in the Newport News ship yards getting a refit and all those steam lines were laid bare and redone so all of us were breathing asbestos particles. Prior to that when I lives at home our hot water was heated with a "bucket a day" coal stove. Every so often my day would have to reline the inside of the stove. He would go to the hardware store and buy asbestos powder bulk and bring it home in a paper bag, mix it with water until it was a thick paste and line the stove with it. For an ancient history class in Jr High school I made a diorama of Pyramids in the Egyptian desert using that asbestos powder. Am I at risk? Probably
uncle buck likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 03-21-2018 at 05:50 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM

Went through a few yard periods and a major overhaul. All the yard workers had white coveralls and breathing masks. We had our seafarers and chambray shirts. Anytime we worked on pumps, blowers, valves, etc., you had to rip off the old asbestos coverings. When done you had to put the pre-formed blocks on the piping, mix the powdered mud to coat them, wrap with asbestos cloth, then paint and re-stencil the lines. I was in the Navy's asbestos program until I turned 45. X-rays and spiro tests every year. After I turned 45, they said you don't get checked anymore. No sign of asbestosis to this day.
uncle buck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Two of my uncles were WWII Navy vets. One was a submariner in the Pacific during the war, and the other went in just at the end of the war. Both died from non genetic pulmonary diseases. I find that somewhat coincidental, and wonder if there's any relation to the fact that they both served at a time when asbestos was commonly used.
uncle buck likes this.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page