Military chow remembered - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Military chow remembered

Someone posted a recipe for Creamed Beef on Toast (SOS) and it got me remembering the chow I had while in the USMC. Frankly I don't recall ever having really bad chow; surely though there was some times when the pork chops could be used to retread a tank track and once in a while chicken was served that I swear still had feathers on it and Marine Corps cooks put pepper on every*******thing. With that said I recall that the best chow I had was when I was TDY at Norfolk and ate in a USN Mess and then at Henderson Hall where we had access to the USA Mess at Fort Meyer. But no chow ever was better than at a field mess after a forced march with the cake under the spaghetti all piled up in a meat can. Yummy.....
uncle buck and bigguy54 like this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Sage

Other than beans for breakfast in the Navy boot camp, I always had good food. When we were at sea, we had steak and lobster on Fridays, no one lost weight on board my ship, except one idiot who went on a hunger strike to try to get kicked out of the Navy.
uncle buck and Birch812 like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:36 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
When I was in the Air Force we always had good meals. I was in six years and never had any chow complaints even when on TDY or in the field.
When I was in the Army its was a different story. Most of the time the meals were not good and very often there was not enough of it. Of course that depended a lot on where you were.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
I can't recall if the food was good or bad in AF Basic. Just that there was food and we didn't have much time to eat it. I seem to recall eating a heck of a lot of mashed potatoes. And that dang mandatory two glasses of water with each meal!
After basic and tech school I lived off base, so the only time I ate in the chow hall was when we were TDY to locations that didn't have any other options.
I love SOS, so I'll have to check out that recipe.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM
The Man

We had the best food in the Coast Guard... Steaks on the back of the CG Cutter .. Onion Rings, etc.. Our damage controlman took a 55 Gallon Drum.. Cut it in half and made a charcoal grill out of it... I often think I hope the 55 gallon drum was not filled with caustic substance...

At Governors Island NY.. Woo we had a entire lobster and all kind of other seafood on Friday.. Even Frog Legs.....Yes Frog Legs taste just like.............................................. ................ Chicken!!!!!

Last edited by uncle buck; 03-22-2018 at 12:24 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Way to much.... chicken !

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 PM

The best food I had was in Afghanistan. The Chow Halls had some great food on base back in the states, oops they are called Dining Facilities now.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 11:20 PM

when my dad was stationed in Germany back in 1958 to 1961 , he said he had good meals , especially s.o.s , ,he said a lot of guys didn't like it and would give it to him ,which he didn't complain about it because he liked it alot
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 PM

Powdered eggs, powdered milk, and bug juice, ummmmm. We used the bug juice to clean deck plates down in the boiler rooms. We had pretty good chow most of the time. Steak, shrimp, lobster, fried rabbit, and stinking chicken.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:25 PM
Sage

Only had powdered eggs and milk one time for a couple of days. Weather delayed us from getting into port to take on stores. Canned goods and dry food we got via helicopter at sea but we bought our milk and eggs in some of the countries we stopped at.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page