American Woodcock Society - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

American Woodcock Society

The RGS has announced the creation of the new American Woodcock Society. Not sure what the guys at Woodcock Limited will think of this as they just went national last year with their organization. Should be good for woodcock but may cause a little competition for habitat dollars.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 PM

Re: American Woodcock Society

I don't think it'll hurt... I do tend to think that the unspoken drive to start it was to bring in more capitol to the RGS. I hope the WL continues to grow and keeps all the initiative/raised capitol/education& awareness eggs, as it relates to the American Woodcock, from being tossed into one basket.

I could see where a centralized/unified effort would provide more oomph, but let's face it, the RGS is no PF or NWTF in terms of marketing and public education prowess and know-how... the local chapters are really the heart of it.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would give my money to Woodcock Limited of PA. But thats just me.

I'm not a big fan of RGS.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The quail groups went through something similar, I hope this doesn't divide the cause.

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:42 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I believe this is a bad idea. Here we go again as hunters dividing ourselves, so one group or another can have a feather in their cap. I am an active member in both organizations and can see the competition for dollars even now. I know that the greater percentage of the dollar that goes into WL ends up on the ground in habitat. RGS does a great job also. Only one of the two will survive. Lynn, I am also a member of PF among others. You may consider me a grouse snob, but my opinion is that there are tens of thousands of acres of marginal grouse and woodcock land in the state that only needs cutting and some TLC and could be converted to great early successional habitat for these two native species. We could rival the lake states for grouse populations.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Nes

Dissappointing to me to hear becuase I think it is too much of a marketing ploy! I support RGS because of the work that I know can be done thru its biologist and members. A RGS banquet must bring in over $7000 before a chapter is <span style="font-weight: bold"> entitled to</span> habitat money which starts at that level. Pheasants Forever you buy the banquet package for about $1200 and you keep all the proceeds and use it as you wish. Woodcock Limited is setting itself to run where most of your money can stay local. I will attend their banquet next month.

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It can be be very frustrating, there are 65,000 grouse hunters in Pa., yet if you go to a habitat project you may see a dozen people. It's the same with PF, 90,000 pheasant hunters and only 2,000 members of PF. Sometimes I ask myself...where the HULL is everybody!!!!

You're right Grouse28, with the right committment, we could have MUCH better grouse and woodcock hunting!

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Grouse28, I do not consider you a grouse snob, obviously you help multiple species as do I. Some may consider me a pheasant snob but I also belong to RGS, WL, DU, QF and PF. PF gets most of my time but I am a bird hunter and interested in lots of species including non game species. I recently purchased 40 acres of land that was reverting to woods. My original plan was to put it all in grass but one quarter of the property looked so good for woodcock habitat I couldn't bring myself to convert it back to grass. I am anxious to see if I get some singers this spring.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

FLDBRED yep the same old guys, and for the most part I mean "old Guys", sometimes at our work projects there are a fair number of Audubon Society people. Quite embarrassing considering it is our project. Goes to show that two groups can work together if they have common goals. I always feel that when there is a project that RGS and WL posture for credit.
Lynn hope you do see some singing woodcock and maybe a drummer nearby.
I do question the sustainability of the pheasant project, but I do not question your desire to maintain it, actually took part in the pheasant survey last year at Montour and was quite impressed. Will also take part in any habitat improvement projects there as in the past.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:21 AM

It is going to create more overhead at RGS and I am not a fan of that. Biologists, Regional Directors all cost money along with there supporting staff. All costs have to come from someplace and that probably means less money for habitat. I guess we will see what happens, my mission wont change.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page