Quail Plan - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quail Plan

Does anyone have any information on the quail plan?

Has it started?

Have they identified any wild populations?

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Re: Quail Plan

I'm not sure where they are with the plan. I have not heard much about it. But I did read on one of the PGC press releases that $250,000 (I think that was the amount, it has been a while) was put aside to help with the plan.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I saw a map recently of potential quail habitat in the state. I think the PGC has hired some Penn State grad students to try and see if any wild birds are in the state now and get DNA samples to see if they are game farm birds or the real thing. The recent cash infusion should get things moving a little faster thanks to the commissioners that support small game hunting like Delaney and Putnam.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Didn't they designate a SGL for this project and were going to do a big burn to start the habitat for this project?? Maybe this was already done??
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Are there any wild quail left in Pa.? Could they be transferred to a WPRA?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

One of the pheasant guys will chime in, I'm sure.

But I am not certain the habitat they are creating for the pheasant is ideal for the bobwhite. I think the bobwhite is a little more specialized in what they need. From what I understand they need more diversity from shrubs to grasses to wooded edges all intermingled.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM

Re: Maps

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:12 PM

Looks like Adams county is a possible area.

The map looks similar to the one in the Quail Management Plan from the PGC. I don't know if they are considering the Gettysburg area or not. In my opinion it would be a good place to start, but that doesn't mean a darn thing.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ghost Coon, In the state of PA, the Bald Eagle has a extremely high probably of out numbering the wild Bobwhite Quail. If the PGC were to declare the Bobwhite Quail an endangered species, the feedback/discussions would rival the comments heard on the agency's Deer Management Plan.

Many of the states, south of the Mason Dixon line, have for many years tried, without success, to get the quail to make a recovery- toward the numbers that were available in the 50's and 60's.

The Ames Plantation, in the south, was created to provide a permanent home for The National Championship Field Trial. Two full time quail biologists direct the plantations staff whose primary goal is providing sufficient numbers of WILD quail to hold this prestigious field trial. Today, the trial is supplemented with pre-released quail.

If the southern states and Ames Plantation, where the bobwhite was king can't do it, I am mystified how the PGC is going to do it.

I wish PGC success with the Quail Plan, just as I have their Pheasant Plan.

Hopefully, the PGC will create a more equitable solution to the dog training issue in the areas they are trying to re-introduce a species- Pheasant, Woodcock, Quail, ....

As a side note- Ms. Carson's book "A Silent Spring" is a very interesting and meaningful read for those that like and enjoy the outdoors.

"The Struggle Continues"
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wish they could bring them back. Franlin county is a real favorable (blue) area. However, I am not sure with current farming practices and large amount of aerial preadators that they can make a comeback.

They were here in great numbers in late 60's and early 70's. Loved hunting them with my English Setters that I had back then, as well as hereing them calling in the spring and early summer.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page