PGC Wild Pheasant news release - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

PGC Wild Pheasant news release

AWESOME !!!!!

"PENNSYLVANIA MIGHT RECEIVE WILD PHEASANTS AFTER ALL

State has received permission to trap 300 Montana birds.

Itís been three years since Pennsylvania has placed wild pheasants into any of the stateís four Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas, which aim to restore to the state self-sustaining populations ring-necked pheasants.

States like South Dakota, which initially provided wild ringnecks to Pennsylvania as part of the restoration program, have been reluctant to part with their own wild stock because of overall declines in their wild pheasant populations.

It looked as if 2014 would mark another year in which the trend would continue.

But when the Board of Game Commissioners took up new business at the end of its Tuesday meeting, there was some good news to announce.

The Game Commission has received permission from a Native American tribe in Montana to trap 300 wild birds and transfer them to Pennsylvania for release on Wild Pheasant Recovery Areas.

Commissioners said Tuesday, following the boardís meeting, that they had learned the news late the night before, and details about when a trapping attempt would commence and where any transferred pheasants would be released remained to be worked out.

Still, the news is a positive for supporters of the restoration program.

The board thanked the organization Pheasants Forever for partnering in a stepped-up effort to locate wild pheasants that can be transported here.

The Board of Game Commissioners established the stateís first Wild Pheasant Recovery Area (WPRA) in 2007. Today, there are four of them, each selected because of its potential to support wild pheasants.

Only trapped-and-transferred wild pheasants are introduced into a WPRA, given their heightened chances for survival in the wild, compared to propagated birds.

There is no open season for the taking of pheasants in any Wild Pheasant Recovery Area. The training of dogs also is prohibited within a WPRA, as is the release of any propagated pheasants.

Wild pheasants have been introduced to three of the four WPRAs, but the Franklin County WPRA has not received pheasants.

Permission to trap and transfer pheasants from Montana would seem to give the Franklin County WPRA a great chance at getting its first birds, though commissioners said itís too early to say where transferred birds might go.

In addition to the Franklin County WPRA, there also is the Central Susquehanna WPRA, the Somerset WPRA and the Hegins-Gratz WPRA.

A presentation made Monday to the commissioners by the Game Commissionís Bureau of Wildlife Management indicated hen pheasant densities in all WPRAs that have received wild birds are approaching or exceed target levels."

These are the good old days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM

Re: PGC Wild Pheasant news release

<span style="font-style: italic">Those captured birds, left feeling the same way a #1 draft pick feels when being drafted by the Cleveland Browns.</span> ( - That's a joke.)

I'd seriously ask if they'd spare more... tell them we have 4 million to work with. Anyone else okay with wild phez stocked in WPRAs (albeit unhuntable as of now) over propagated (huntable) birds in less than ideal cover? ... yes please.

At any rate, I do hope for the sake of sound science that they factor these 'new releases' into the flushing surveys/crowing counts.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 PM

A waste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Lyco, Lyco, Lyco, why so bitter? With the proper training...uh never mind!
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 PM

The hegins gratz wpra only received 300 birds if I'm correct and they still have wild birds so I disagree it is not a waste

Patience is Wisdom and Vice Versa
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great news Tucks Dad! After all 99% are all for it!
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Regular Visitor

I'm curious about the last sentence in the original post. It says...

"A presentation made Monday to the commissioners by the Game Commissionís Bureau of Wildlife Management indicated hen pheasant densities in all WPRAs that have received wild birds are approaching or exceed target levels."

I live and work near the Somerset WPRA. I was under the impression the birds up here on the mountain are pretty much gone. Does anyone have any information about what the current state of the Somerset WPRA is?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCoon
Great news Tucks Dad! After all 99% are all for it!
Wait now, is it 99% or 85% ?

Second post down... (until it's edited )
https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...3260291&page=2

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 PM

I thought it was higher than 99%.

Great job PAGC and PF!

PCD Enlightened
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locher
I'm curious about the last sentence in the original post. It says...

"A presentation made Monday to the commissioners by the Game Commissionís Bureau of Wildlife Management indicated hen pheasant densities in all WPRAs that have received wild birds are approaching or exceed target levels."

I live and work near the Somerset WPRA. I was under the impression the birds up here on the mountain are pretty much gone. Does anyone have any information about what the current state of the Somerset WPRA is?
i'm not sure i think the first year they had horrible success but the 2nd year it got better. is this the 3rd year? i always thought after 5yrs they were to be opened up for hunting but if that was the case we'd be hunting some of them by now. that's all the info i have which isn't much haha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page