Question on grouse fan diameter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Question on grouse fan diameter

Wondering what the typical diameter of a fan should be. I think the grouse I got was a whopper. I want to hear from you guys first before I tell you what the diameter of its fan is.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Question on grouse fan diameter

This season for me, the smallest central feather on a fan measured 5 1/4" and the largest was 6 7/8". The latter I would consider a big mature male.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:42 PM

bowmike,
In reality there is no typical, they come in all different sizes, some small tails on big birds and some little tails on large birds and vise versa.
BlackStump has given you a pretty fair size range, however some get even biggger and smaller also.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:53 PM
dap

If spread in a half circle, I consider anything over fourteen inches in diameter as a nice fan. Fifteen inches is realy big and sixteen inches is a record book monster. My biggest to date is 14.3".

The average size of the fans in this picture is 12.6 inches.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

That is a sweet picture mine was a little over 15. The center feather was 7 7/8 when measured from tip to tip. I hope I can fixe it since Lilly chomped him, when he sprang back to life.

Sounds llike I got really lucky on my first bird

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Part of the Community

Mike,
Sounds like you shot a pretty big bird. There are some ways to tell the age and sex of the bird if your interested. Theres no doubt yours was a male tho. If you save the fans here is a tip. I spread the fan out while it is still fresh and pin it with stick pins between the quills to some cardboard. Then cover the fleshy part with Borax or even table salt to dry it out. Stick it on a shelf until hunting season is over. I then make some plaques with my router over the winter while Im thinkin about next season already.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStump
Mike,
Sounds like you shot a pretty big bird. There are some ways to tell the age and sex of the bird if your interested. Theres no doubt yours was a male tho. If you save the fans here is a tip. I spread the fan out while it is still fresh and pin it with stick pins between the quills to some cardboard. Then cover the fleshy part with Borax or even table salt to dry it out. Stick it on a shelf until hunting season is over. I then make some plaques with my router over the winter while Im thinkin about next season already.
How big was the tail you got at my place? That was a male wasn't it, and I recall it was fairly big.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know over the years we took some pretty darn big grouse from the creek bottoms around home and they always ran bigger in the swamps than the ridge and mountain birds. Not sure why other than perhaps better food and cover down low. One year when I was young I shot an exceptionally large one, and lacking a vest with a game pouch, I slung it over my shoulder. After crossing the road by the house, a passing WCO actually stopped and checked me out and gave me a good natured rubbing about the size of the bird and if my grouse got any bigger I would have to use my fall turkey tag on them. Never forgot that, but it's been a long time since I have seen any of those big swamp birds.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rober
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStump
Mike,
How big was the tail you got at my place? That was a male wasn't it, and I recall it was fairly big.
Rick,
That was in fact the heavyweight of the year. Probably one of the biggest birds Ive shot ever really. Yes he was definately a male with a heavy black ruff and solid tail band. Good times were had. Thanks again
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap
If spread in a half circle, I consider anything over fourteen inches in diameter as a nice fan. Fifteen inches is realy big and sixteen inches is a record book monster. My biggest to date is 14.3".

The average size of the fans in this picture is 12.6 inches.
Dang, now I gotta go start measuring the fans on my shed doors!

Eh...wot?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page