LAST DAY :( - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

LAST DAY :(

I will be going out around 10 or so, and hunting until that lab lets me know she is done, Good luck to all going out today. I really hope I can get on a few birds and maybe get a shot. It is a bit cold and windy, but I gotta give it one last go! Anyone else get our or planning on getting out?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 03:02 PM

Re: LAST DAY :(

bowmike,
Wish I could, my legs is still healing, good luck to you and the dog, be careful out there right now!
RGD/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Anybody get a last day grouse? Unfortunately I wasn't able to get out until this afternoon. I just got home here at 5pm. Walked a new area that looked like it might be good but we didn't find any birds. I was hoping to at least get a good point for the dog but no luck but he sure hunted hard today. When we got back to the truck both of our beards were covered in tiny beads of snow & ice. It fely goid to be out for at least a few hours on thr last day. So in our first season trying to find grouse coverts around here my 17-month old drahthaar and I ended up with 2 solid points, 3 wild flushes and sadly no shots fired. Still I think I really started to learn a good deal that I will put to use for next season. We're going to continue to scout for coverts though. I hope some of you guys found sine birds and got shots today.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Well we made it out. We got around 5-6" of snow today and have around 8-10 in the woods. Not very good grouse hunting weather at all. We were restricted to the behind the house covers. WE walked non stop from 11-1:30. Both of us our really tired. Came home and shoveled snow a bit, and plowed out the drive way. Lilly never quit though, and my phone died so I decided to come home early. She is getting really good at flushing turkey. LOL she put up a flock of about 20-30 or so again but on a different hillside, behind the house. When I went to shovel snow, there was one beside the garage, and I am sure it is one of the ones that she exploded into. Only one grouse flushed and it was about 100 yards from the back door. It flushed through the pine trees. Not sure if the birds were snow roosted, hanging out in the trees, or just holding super tight. She only got birdy maybe 2 or 3 times including the turkey.

All in all it was a really fun season. I ended up with one grouse killed. We put up 25 though and I would say Lilly flushed about 2/3rds of them. I really fell in love with this sport and just finding these birds is a blast. I learned a lot and thank everyone for all of the advice. I love hunting with my lab and would not trade the few hours a week for anything.

Hope someone else got some birds moving today. We sure didn't. Well we did but not "The King"

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:23 PM

Glad some of you guys got out. Sounds like it was tough out there. I didn't have much of a chance to chase grouse this year but next year should turn out better.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Part of the Community

We got into 4 birds. 2 points 2 flushes from the pup. They held pretty tight today in the snow roost.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Went out not expecting much because of the weather. Ended up flushing 11 birds. Left them all for next year.

Hunt with your kids not for them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:55 PM

I didn't make it out this weekend. I was going to head north but the weather and the driving we decided to stay home.
Glad you "New" guys had fun this year. It is a great joy to hunt behind a good dog.
RyanR, Keep plugging away at finding your grouse covers and some day it will all come together. It took awhile for me to find mine, but the work paid off.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 04:04 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

On the drive into my hunting spot I seen four grouse in the trees, the one held to get its picture taken. They dissapeared into some large trees so I did not try to follow up on them. I hunted four hours had 5 wild flushes and 1 flush off a point, missed on a quick shot. It was a tough day but worth getting out, my dog was all ice balled up and was time to call it quits. It was a great season!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement Rober. We plan to keep at it (scouting) for the next month. I have maps with cuts that I didn't even get to check out yet.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page