Upland bird hunting gear and lanyards? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Upland bird hunting gear and lanyards?

Just wondering what type of gear you all take with you on a typical hunt. Clothing, lanyards, dog supplies, things of that nature. Want to be sure I am carrying what I need, and get ideas for upgrades in the upcoming year.

Also what do you typically put on your lanyard?

I wanted to get a lanyard for a whistle and some other items I carry with me. I found a guy in PA that makes them from Parachord. I got mine custom made to have 2 flush counters on it as well. I will use one for flushes, and the other for harvests. right now I am (24-1) in the second season

The guy was really easy to work with, and his hand crafted lanyards are very nice. They come with an S clip, flush counter, and 2 attachments for a gps, or collar controller. I don't use either but thought some of you guys who do may want to look into these lanyards as well. Right now there is a deal for 2 for the price of one.

http://grousebum.com/end-of-season-deals/

I will be teaching whistle sit this year so it will be a really nice to have a durable lanyard. I may be doing some traveling, and plan on adding a "tick key" as well, and maybe a small multitool or something along those lines.

The tick key is a great thing to have and works really well. I am not worried about using it on my dog, as much as I am on using it if I get a tick on me. The ticks I find on my dog, are typically dead from her medicine, but this thing works very well to get it out.

http://www.tickkey.com/

I think I may look into getting one of those camel pack bladders as well. right now I typically carry 2 water bottles, one for me and one for the dog. She does well with drinking out of a water bottle, but I think that the camel pack would be better. I could just squirt it right to here, and not need to carry two bottles around with me. Any good places to pick one of these up?

I want to get a good pair of brush pants for next year. What brands do you suggest for this? Where do you get them?

Also contemplating looking for a decent brush coat. I am using an old orange jacket and wearing a vest over top of it. I would like to get a 2 in one if possible. Any suggestions?

Want to look into getting either a skid plat or safety vest as well. I know some of these are tough to judge by pictures a lone. I want one that is tough and durable, but not too bulky and noisy.

What other types of gear and supplies do you take with you into the field for an upland hunt.

Any one ever use one of those gut hook tools for birds for quick field dressing?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:24 PM

Re: Upland bird hunting gear and lanyards?

I have an upland vest that has camelback compartments/
it holds way more water then is comfortable to wear with.

in my opinion its a great early season option, however once the cold weather kicks in , its not fun wearing an icepack on your back.
as far as gear I carry..
small first aid kit/emergency kit
gps unit
small cheap compass
bladder or water bottle
leatherman
4 heavy duty zip ties
12ft paracord leash
whistle

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I take as little as I can. Long days you appreciate not having all kinds of junk with you. A nice light gun helps too.

Filson strap vest over a Cabela's tech upland soft shell. Suprisingly it keeps me warm on all but coldest of days. If it's really cold I'll wear a lined flannel under it.

Filson chaps. I hate brush pants. I found the chaps much nicer.

GPS with spare batteries

Compass

small first aid kit.

2 water bottles

whistle with flush counter.

leatherman (mostly for porky quills)

I clean my birds at home.

to warm barrels and cold noses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Filson Strap Vest over a sweatshirt w/ a lightweight blaze safety vest for the warmer days. If it's cold, I wear a McAlister 1/4 zip orange fleece pullover. Filson chaps.

-First aid kit
-Emergency kit containing: emergency blanket, emergency whistle w/ a backup compass, Gerber multitool, Petzel Zipka headlamp w/ spare batteries, Gerber Gator folding knife, waterproof matches, six zip ties, 20ft length of paracord.
-Garmin 62s GPS w/ spare batteries
-Compass
-Two bottles water
-Two PBJ sandwiches
-Twelve shotgun shells
-Leather gloves
-Sig Sauer P229.40 S&W w/ spare magazine or S&W 396NG .44SPL w/ two speed strips of spare ammo

-Hopefully a bird or two for the walk back...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
First aid kit
-Emergency kit containing: emergency blanket, emergency whistle w/ a backup compass, Gerber multitool, Petzel Zipka headlamp w/ spare batteries, Gerber Gator folding knife, waterproof matches, six zip ties, 20ft length of paracord.
-Garmin 62s GPS w/ spare batteries
-Compass
-Two bottles water
-Two PBJ sandwiches
-Twelve shotgun shells
-Leather gloves
-Sig Sauer P229.40 S&W w/ spare magazine or S&W 396NG .44SPL w/ two speed strips of spare ammo

-Hopefully a bird or two for the walk back...
WOW, seems like alot........

I carry; a pack of matches inside two ziplock bags put inside my hunting license holder - also two sheets of newspaper in double ziplocks and an old drivers license, also all in the hunting license holder.
A letherman
A cell phone
A camera

I kill because I'm hunting, but killing is not the reason I go hunting.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Byron,

I thought the same thing after I had listed all of it. In actuality, it is probably more than I need but I have my reasons and feel comfortable with what I carry. 90% of the time I'm hunting by myself and routinely am up to 10 miles from my truck. All the stuff in my emergency kit plus spare batteries for the GPS weighs 20oz and fits inside a 5in x 5in x 2in pack so in reality it sounds like a lot but weighs little and provides peace of mind.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ret
Byron,

I thought the same thing after I had listed all of it. In actuality, it is probably more than I need but I have my reasons and feel comfortable with what I carry. 90% of the time I'm hunting by myself and routinely am up to 10 miles from my truck. All the stuff in my emergency kit plus spare batteries for the GPS weighs 20oz and fits inside a 5in x 5in x 2in pack so in reality it sounds like a lot but weighs little and provides peace of mind.
Yeah, I was actually thinking all the crap Mike's gonna hang on his new lanyard will probably weigh more, lol!

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 PM

First aid kit/small...bigger one kept in vehicle
water
compass
zip ties
Knipex heavy duty wire and cable cutters
needle nose pliers
small(real small) bottle of honey
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What is the zip ties for?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihaven
What is the zip ties for?
If you hunt an area where they trap, they are used to help hold open a connibear(body gripping) trap. Can also be used to help splint a leg on a pc. of wood, repair collars and e-collars, etc.

However, that is also why I carry the Knipex cutters, to cut a trap and cable restraint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page