Grouse question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Grouse question

I Was out Saturday with the dogs. We normally get 13 grouse in the air. We only flushed one. It was windy and fresh snow only a inch or two. Do the birds normally stay in the trees on these days? We hunted everywhere with no luck. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Grouse question

Chevy
If I had to pick one day not to hunt Ruffs it would be the mourning after a snowstorm. Many times they do not even come off the roost. They feed heavily just prior to the storm. They know its coming. It is also the time they are preyed upon the most. Predators sense it too and take advantage of it.

We hunted Saturday 9;30 TILL 5:00 in cuts that are prime. These cuts see little pressure do to there remoteness. We moved 9 all day. Normally its twenty plus. Most all came off ground roost and never seen a track all day. I considered it lucky we had that many flushes. Have some heavy stands of pines in the area that probably held most of the birds. Just doesnt offer much dog work. Although spruce trees that limb to the ground can offer up some great dog work just difficult shooting.

Only connected with one bird in the mourning and her crop was a full as it could get. Im guessing due the time and its fullness it had to be from the afternoon before.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I only moved a few. They were in more mature woods rather than the cut I started in and was concentrating on.

Hopefully this Saturday is better. Heading to tionesta for the last hoorah.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

So it's more the fresh snow then the wind. That's sounds good. My boss let me have off Friday. I can't wait to get back out there. First year really doing any kind of 6 hour hike/hunts. I'm getting into some birds just not connecting much.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Windy days are always a problem. Birds tend to be nervous. If they know your there and have trouble pinpointing your position do to the wind there gittin out of Dodge. More times than not at the edge of or just out of shooting.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Grouse are tough on windy days....I don't know where they disappear to sometimes
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have had similar experience the last couple of weeks. Always amazes me how wild animals vanish when they choose to.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:36 PM
The Man

I hunted and area on Saturday that is typically a good producer. Only flushed 2. Not a lot of tracks as well. I am wondering if the windy day was the reason Lilly was ranging a bit as well.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

We had 13 flushes on Saturday. All but 3 came from trees. Never even saw them. Only a few sets of tracks. Throughout the day we had about 4" of snow fall. It was still a great day to be out.

to warm barrels and cold noses
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

2 of the 4 flushes we had Saturday came from way out front in the trees. Kinda makes it tough for the dogs to pin a bird that's sitting up in a hemlock. The 2 ground flushes were close quarters, one pointed, but didn't offer a shot.

The hawks are killing everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page