Another great (but frustrating) day rabbit hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Another great (but frustrating) day rabbit hunting

Had 8 rabbits up today over about four hours. My dog is still not consistently circling the stupid things though. It's so frustrating because for the last two years we couldn't find rabbits for him to chase. This year they have been everywhere but he just can't seem to circle the stupid things. I'm starting to think it may be time to retire him to a house pet and get a new dog. It's a shame cuz he's my hunting buddy. Hopefully he improves this year and over the training season.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 PM

Re: Another great (but frustrating) day rabbit hunting

Keep taking him out and let him run as much as he can, conditions are not real good and I've seen professional rabbit chasers having some problems...if you are sure the rabbits aren't holing, take him back to where he quit and see if he figures it out. If you aren't sure go see if there's a hole. The last week has been prety bad for us, rabbits holing fast and bad scent since the ground is frozen hard and air is "warm"

DeadRiver AKC Beagles
home 2G
camp 4D
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 PM

not sure what you mean by him circling rabbits. if he just gives up that is a very bad sign at two years old. have you done much hunting with good beagles in the past?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering myself about the conditions outside right now. It was pretty breezy today, and the ground was frosty. My pap always had good dogs, but since I started hunting about 12 years ago rabbit hunting has been pretty bad. My dad's beagle was a decent running dog. Whether or not the rabbits are holing up I can't say, but the dog brought two out of eight rabbits back around to me today and on frost I can't say that's terrible I guess. In fact, I have been wondering lately if it has anything to do with the turf in the spot I am hunting. In the other places I run him he seems to do better, so maybe the rabbits ARE holing up out there more than I think? I tried joining him at the end of the track to see if I could put him back on it, but not much luck there. He doesn't give up on the track I don't think, at least he usually keeps trying to find the rabbit. Usually, he chases well for a good distance, then he starts barking intermittently and having trouble, then he eventually comes back to me. I am really hoping it's a practice issue with him. I'm not ready to give up yet, so I'll keep working with him.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 05:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

sent you a pm psycho
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 09:05 PM

no sense in giving up this season
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

yeah it is a little late in the season for that, but it's just frustrating. I used to think it was bad going out and not finding rabbits. This year, I find rabbits, but my dog can't seem to get on the game! I'll keep trying...

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 01:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

Every rabbit chase does not end with a dead rabbit. Or even a shot at one. Lots of times the rabbit holes up, or pulls some other maneuver that messes up the dog and that chase ends. 2 out of 8 in late season is not too bad. I have one spot that rabbits are notorious holers. almost every one we jump beelines for a hole. It is discouraging, but if your dog is checking back to you after a loss, and then going hunting again, I would say he'll be just fine. keep on huntin, bud.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

dtpa: Thanks! Your response is encouraging. As I have said, I know that I am at fault as well since I don't get him out nearly as much as I should. I think I worry so much because I really don't know that much about the dog's background, other than that his mom was a beagle and his dad was a beagle/basset mix. We bought him right after we lost our 8-month old pup as kind of a replacement house pet. When I talked to the people I bought him from, they did say that his mom was used to hunt rabbits, but I don't know how much that was done or how well she ran. He at least seems like he's good at picking rabbits up and taking them a good distance, so I hope that this is an issue that can be worked out with practice.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 AM

no offense, but when you mention using a mixed breed for a hunting dog it makes me think that you're correct about retiring him to being a house pet. it does work out sometimes. but....after 2 years you pretty much see the writing on the wall. the thought actually crossed my mind when i saw the photo with the hound. it. doesn't totally look like a beagle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page