Rabbit fun w/ the beagles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Rabbit fun w/ the beagles

Had an excellent day for rabbits today! Took my dog and my dad's dog out (no one else was around to go!) but had a dozen rabbits up in about four hours! Killed one on the jump, left the other ones go. My dog brought two around (shoot and a miss) and my dad's dog is still a pup so she is just learning. She jumped two out of some really thick log piles (I promptly missed them as well...) Long story short, both dogs are now sleeping like logs While I'm here, does anyone know how I can improve my dog's ability to circle? Will this come with practice? He is four years old and usually loses them between 3/4 circle and 1 1/2 circle for some reason. I think, from my observations, he is overrunning the line and then giving up. Advice?

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Rabbit fun w/ the beagles

Usually they get a lot better the more you run them, but at 4 yrs old you may have all you are going to get.

Free Madcatter!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 PM

How often has this hound been in the woods over the last few months?

I have seen them get smoother a bit the more you run them. Does his dog pack with yours?

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 PM

Congrats on the fun day.

All depends how much time the dog has on it.
If it has been run a decent amount then I agree with the above. You have what you have.
If the dog is just getting going only rabbit tracks will make him better.

We got a lightly started 3 year old female a good while back. After a good amount of running (solo and pack)over about a year, she developed into a really competent dog.

Even placed her a few times at licensed trials and she always seemed to make the winner's pack.
Gunned her till she was about 10 and she retired to my uncle's couch where she is today. Still runs the yard bunnies at 12 yo and has had a good life.

John L

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Well, I have been running him for the last two years with only very little success since it has been tough to find rabbits. This is the first year in about seven years that I have run into as many rabbits as I have been. He does seem to be getting better this year, I just wanted to see how everyone felt about this. I would say the first two years I ran him he probably ran about five rabbits all season. This year, he has at least fifty chases, probably far more than that. His circling seems to be improving, even though I haven't had time to take him for about two months. It will get better now for him since I will have time in the afternoons to take him out. As for the other dog, sometimes she will run with mine, sometimes she won't. All depends on how hot the scent is. She yips on trails, she won't full-out bark yet, but she is getting there. Here's hoping that she develops and helps my dog!

Edit: I probably should note that my five rabbit count includes rabbits during the season only. If I would include summer training, he may have had 10-15 chases. He is lazy in the summer though; he won't hunt when it's hot outside.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM

Start running him at night this summer if you can so that he keeps getting out (make sure he's broke). With 20 chases in a year, you can't expect much of anything. Actually, he's probably doing pretty good for only getting 20 chases under his belt.

If you can run him at night this spring for 4 or 5 hours, you'll probably double his running from the entire year.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good! Never thought to run him at night. Until I got him a shock collar, he used to chase deer. Ended that pretty quick with the zap collar but I wouldn't have run him at night if I was worried I would lose him to a deer. I would guess there are no laws in PA regarding training dogs at night?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:02 PM

Night running is legal.

I think he will tighten up a bit with more training. If he will pack with your dog, he may learn a bit and be more persistent in the check.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Run2Catch: I think somewhere along the line I caused some confusion. My dad's dog is the 1 year old female and she is just starting out. I am not having too many issues with her right now (she hasn't run much and is still learning) It is my dog that I am tearing my hair out over since he is 4 years and is having trouble circling rabbits (this is his third season) Not that it matters; I think the answer is the same either way. Now, my dad's dog will sometimes join my dog on a chase, but once my dog pulls out ahead she will give up and return to me. I think this will come with experience though since she comes back fairly quick on her own as well. Your response leads me to another issue though, the dogs do not seem to pack together. Is this an issue because I have run my dog alone for so long? It's only my dad's dog and mine that we run together, and this is the first year my dog has ever run with another dog at all. I have hunted rabbits my entire life, but I am just really starting to learn about beagles and running them. We have always used them, but I guess I just never learned until recently what the game is all about.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-PA
Usually they get a lot better the more you run them, but at 4 yrs old you may have all you are going to get.

True takes that special hound to be a rabbit hound many make just pack hound status. Myself I would not feed on that long if he could not run a rabbit maybe a ton of Solow time after dark in some cut tree tops. If he isn't pulling the pack over racing and picks up a lot of checks, keep him in there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page