pheasant hunting in western pa - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

pheasant hunting in western pa

I live in Butler County and got a fairly new bird dog. I was wondering if anybody knows of good late season pheasant spots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 AM

Re: pheasant hunting in western pa

Your more likely to get someone's PIN numbers before they give up their honeyhole on a public forum. They put a lot of birds on State Game Lands this year. I would probably start there. Good luck!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 10:47 AM
The Man

I agree with Wash Co_Archer. I think you would be more likely to find this info out in the early season, if ever. The PGC only puts out so many birds, and guys want the best opportunity for their dogs to work, and for themselves. Posting up these locations on a board of 32,000 members will not be something you will find often.

Welcome to the forum, and take some time to read through some threads.Your first post being a request for a spot may also be a turn off for some members. Take some time to introduce yourself and such. I know these forums are to gain knowledge, but getting to know members and such first can really lead to some great knowledge gained, and some hunting opportunities.

Here is a link to the SW area stocking schedule:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=600829&mode=2

This will tell you where pheasant were put out and when, along with how many. This would be a good place to start looking. The season is still in for a little while so you have a good chance of checking out some new area, running you dog, and learning areas for next year.

I would hit up a few different stocked areas, and give it a go. Don't be afraid to check the wood edges, and such as well because the birds that are left will be in hiding, and most likely will not be in the open CRP for extended periods of time.

That being said, right now the pickings are pretty slim out there. A few weeks ago a few friends and I hit a PGC stocked area. We had 1 veteran 3 year old pointer, an 8 month old pointer, a 6 month old setter, and my 3 year lab. We put up one wounded hen and worked nearly the whole area.

You may be better off getting a hold of a preserve. Towards the end of the season, some of these guys may offer discounts to guys to get rid of last years stock and make room for the new chicks. I have hunted a "Chuckar Challenge" a few years ago that was a lot of fun, and a way for the club to get rid of some birds. You can really get your new dog on a lot of birds this way. It is my understanding that many companys buy a bulk number of pheasants, and those that they don't use get put out this way. Some also offer dog training packages where you may be able to get quail and such at a cheaper rate to work you dog over.

Just a thought, and don't go out with a mind set of using this as a hunt, use it for training for your dog first. Maybe even let the bird flush an extra time, if it is in an area that could provide for another flush. Just my .02 and take it for what its worth.

Hope this helps out some, and again Welcome to HPA.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauge837
I live in Butler County and got a fairly new bird dog. I was wondering if anybody knows of good late season pheasant spots?
That you DH ?

These are the good old days.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

On point outfitters would be a great place to call. I don't know what they have going on this time of year but Vince runs a great place and is very good to us HPA guys

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

You are correct tucks dad
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Whenever you're ready let's do a Gobblers Knob or On Point day. Kinda tough sledding on the game lands birds these days.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

He never ran with another dog yet but he does really good one he finds that first bird
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Ted who is tuckers parents
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

Dillon and Chickie. I think Red is Gauge's dad right ?
FYI I put Tuck out with another dog for the first time this time last year and he did fine....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page