Side by side question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Side by side question

I could have asked this in the firearm forum but I'm looking for the opinion of the bird hunters so I'm asking it here.

I'm looking at getting a new SxS for no other reason other than I want one. I currently own a Stoeger Uplander and for the money it's a good gun, it shoots straight and goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. Plus I don't mind when it gets beat up. The down side is its heavy and the fit of everything is marginal.

So now I'm looking at getting something nicer. My budget is $1500 or so. I've been just looking on the internet and wouldn't buy anything without holding it first and seeing how it fit. I like the Ugartechea grade 1 and the CZ bobwhite. Does anyone have experience with either of these? The CZ has screw in chokes and is half the price. Is the Ugartechea a much higher quality firearm?

I also wouldn't mind a good quality used gun but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Any advice is apperciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Side by side question

Not familiar with the CZ guns. I have handeled Ugartechea at Lion Country Supply. They are much better and lighter than the Stoeger Uplander.

Hunt with your kids not for them.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 PM

CZ makes some fantastic upland guns.

A CZ sxs in 20g is my next purchase. Not sure yet on the model.

Right now I am shooting a Browning Cynergy o/u. It's heavy and no better than a CZ at 1/3 the price.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Sage

I have an Ugartechea in 28 ga s xs very pleased with it, although it rarely comes out since my last bird dog passed on.

wmu 3A
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 08:31 PM

I prefer the CZ over the Ugartecha. both are good guns with better quality than the Stoeger. just my .02

NRA life member
DU member
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I bought a ugartechea grade 1 16 ga. two years ago, I went to lion country supply they had three on stock. The salesman weight them for me two were 6ib. 4oz. the one I bought is 6lb. 3oz. I had their gunsmith open the chokes to skeet 1 and improved cylinder. The gun is a joy to carry and shoots very well!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Both the CZ and the Uggie are great guns for the money. Some folks have a bias against the Turkish guns, but others like them a lot. I have a 28 ga. DeHann which is just a fancier version of the CZ, and I like it a lot. The only negative I hear about either gun is the trigger pull on some of the CZ's can be a little rough. Don't know how often it happens but I've heard it mentioned more than once.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have an Uggie 20 Ga That I gave to my dad to use. Great guns at that price. Another good option if you like a round action is finding a Smith and Wesson Gold Elite made by UTAS in Turkey. They are allot of gun for the money. I believe Cabelas is re-importing them now under the name Dickenson. Another option is to find a nice used Fox Sterlingworth in 16 or 20 Ga. Good Luck with your search.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 PM
Part of the Community

I cant comment on the CZ or the Uggie I have however owned a beautiful Grulla. It was a magnificent looking gun in the style of a James Purdey. The problem was it shot 4" low point of aim at 16 yards. No good for shooting rising birds. There are some quality sxs made in Spain and other parts but im a bit gunshy of them. The asthetics may be pleasing but I have no idea how much the barrel regulation is a concern for the manufacturers. Producing a quality sxs is an expensive endeavor that consumes much time and requires skilled craftsmen. Thats why the American guns went by the wayside with mass production. Take my advice for what its worth if it were my $1500.00 I would look for a nice used Fox Sterlingworth or a prewar German made J.P. Sauer or something comparible. It will be a tank and and a fine gun to own. I have a 1918 Phila. made Sterlingworth 12 gauge that weighs 6 lbs. Solid as it was new and will go for several more generations in my family. Could probably find one similar in the 1000 to 1500 range. Im sure some of the newer guns are nice but I would guess they start around 3000.00 . Either way let us know what you decide on. PM me if you like I would be glad to help in any way
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would go with the uggie.

But then I have a thing against Turkish guns.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page