Interesting Grouse Hunting Survey Results - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Interesting Grouse Hunting Survey Results

http://featherandfinblog.com/the-gre...-poll-results/

I'm not endorsing any of these results, but I thought it could make for some interesting discussion. I know some of these charts raised an eyebrow for me.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 02:46 PM
The Man

Re: Interesting Grouse Hunting Survey Results

AWESOME! I JUST GOT A 20 GA OVER UNDER WITH 26" BARRELS, guess I made the right choice, at least yo these guys.

I was going to put up a best 20 ammo for grouse thread but seems like this can be debated here.

I like it so far and just got a few shots out of it. Biggest thing I like is how light it is. A lot lighter than my 870. The 26" barrels make it easier to get on the bead. At least for me. I will let you know my thoughts next weekend when I get to go to the grouse woods.

One thing they did not discuss is what chokes for what barrels. I believe mine has an improved and a modified in it. Now.

Thanks for posting this. Shared it with a few friends.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'd like to meet 13% who thought the .410 was the "perfect" grouse gun. Adequate, in the right hands, perhaps, but "perfect"????

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmike
AWESOME! I JUST GOT A 20 GA OVER UNDER WITH 26" BARRELS, guess I made the right choice, at least yo these guys.

I was going to put up a best 20 ammo for grouse thread but seems like this can be debated here.

I like it so far and just got a few shots out of it. Biggest thing I like is how light it is. A lot lighter than my 870. The 26" barrels make it easier to get on the bead. At least for me. I will let you know my thoughts next weekend when I get to go to the grouse woods.

One thing they did not discuss is what chokes for what barrels. I believe mine has an improved and a modified in it. Now.

Mike
What did you go with? Pics?
I'm in the market for a 20 ga o/u
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 09:55 PM

when I think O/U I think clay shooting: gauge doesn't matter
I see a S/S I think grouse: 20g about 26" in open cyl/I cyl
for pheasants I think pump: love a 16g 28" mod (carries like a 20 ,hits like a 12)
and waterfowl I think semi: 3"12g or 10g (depending on bird size)_ 30-32" and full

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheUplands
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmike

Mike
What did you go with? Pics?
I'm in the market for a 20 ga o/u
American Arms Silver 2, not a bad O/U, swings nice and mounts fast, its light. It is an Italian make, blued barrels, nickel receiver with engraving on sides, bottom, and even trigger guard. Very pretty gun, and fits me pretty well. I might shoot some trap with it tomorow. I feel like i shot my dog, by getting rid of my 17 in the trade but i know this gun will be a lot of fun to shoot. I am surprised how much it kicks for a 20 ga. I think it has Improved, and modified. It is on gunbroker for 550 low end and 685 higher end. Just a solid O/U and all I could afford right now Ill make it work.It has the English locking system "green" or something like there, where when you break it open It has a tight lock. I will put up some pics later when I can use my camera. I stole some off of the internet of what it looks like but its not my exact gun.

In all honesty I thought there would be a heck of a lot more 16 ga and 12 ga users on there. I don't even see single shots listed

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 AM

bowmike,
The single shot shotgun is not a popular Grouse gun,
and most of the 13% who liked the .410 do not shoot flying, they are the camp meat people, which should have been eliminated from any type of actual sport hunting survey.
Pine Creek

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedoak
I see a S/S I think grouse: 20g about 26" in open cyl/I cyl
I have one of these (a Savage/Fox) that my grandfather gave me when I was 10. Couldn't hit a darn thing with it for years. Naturally, it was the gun's fault.

I got a little older, a little smarter, and a lot more practice. Last year I took that gun on a quail hunt in Alabama and shot more than 100 birds in 2 1/2 days. I guess the gun got a lot better over the years.

Still, it's surprisingly heavy for its size and gauge. I bought a CZ Ultralight O/U a little over a year ago and it's now my primary grouse gun because of its weight. The thing feels like the barrels are made of PVC.

I was never a believer in the light gun hype, but now that I have one I see (feel, really) that it makes a difference. I can still haul around a heavy gun, like my other grandfather's SxS 12 gauge Lafever that I still sometimes use, but I find that the CZ is a lot less hard on me in the grouse woods.

With age comes wisdom (sometimes), along with a little better shooting and weaker shoulders and arms.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 PM

My 20 ga Zoli O/U has 26 inch barrels with fixed Imp/Mod chokes. My Red Label 20 has 28 inch barrels. I really don't notice much of a difference between the two as far as handling and swinging.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

[quote=Pine-Creek]bowmike,
most of the 13% who liked the .410 do not shoot flying, they are the camp meat people, which should have been eliminated from any type of actual sport hunting survey.

Never occured to me that ground swatters would participate in such a survey. Wasn't thinking I guess.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page