Dog with siezures - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Dog with siezures

Does any one know of any old remedies for a dog having seizure? I have a 10 year old male that takes them and was just wondering if any one had any advice or know of any thing that they use? He's on meds from the doc now and he still takes them just not as bad a couple of minutes and he all over it. Does any one know what causes them or is it just something they get when they get old and can it be given to the pups that he's the dad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Dog with siezures

Not sure that it is age related...our yellow lab has taken them since she was 4-5 years old...now she is 12.

The meds the docs put her on were worse on her than the seizures in our opinion....she has one about every two months......last 4-5 minutes...not sure what sparks them.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Part of the Community

My previous lab "Magic" had siezures on and off for years. By chance we started giving him Nordic Omega-3 Pet soft gels (6)each morning "he weighed 100 lbs". The severity and length of the siezers was reduced and after several month stopped. Bought the soft gels from a local health store. In a pinch you could buy them on internet.

Worked for me, good luck!

goosetracker

“We all live under the same sky, but we don't all see the same horizon”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Regular Visitor

My daughters mutt was having 1 every 2 to 3 days. The vet put her on meds for epilepsy. Been 5 months and she hasn't had any more.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Regular Visitor

If your dog hasn't always had seizures get it tested for lymes. My dog started having the and that is what it turned out to be.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 PM

Also, Have you changed foods recently ?
Sometimes better quality food or an all natural diet (chicken, venison etc.) will greatly reduce seizure activity.
I had a very good dog that started taking seizures after I started feeding Pro Plan Chicken and Rice, Put her back on her old food and she never had another.

John L

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

i feed retriever hi pro I've been feeding it for years and never had any problems dogs always stayed fat and feed raw deer scraps and left overs from the table.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Goosetracker do you have the web sight?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Part of the Community

My younger GSP has siezures. He currently is on phenobarbital and it appears to be controlling them. Sometimes he will go a couple months without any and then sometimes he has one every other week. On his current dosage though when one does get through they are short and when he comes to he is back to normal quickly.

I agree with everything that everyone else said. Food can cause it, Frontline and other similar products can cause it, just about anything can cause it. The hard part is finding out what. We tried everything with our dog and we are quite sure its hereditary epilepsy. Which answers your question about it being passed on. However epilepsy usually shows up in dogs when they are younger (under the age of three). It can also skip multiple generations making it hard to determine the source.

Try everything you can think of to try and fix them problem, but try them one at a time and give them time to work including the meds. Nothing is instant and if you do find the fix you want to be sure what it was.

Also word of advice if you take your dog out after having a siezure, which I recommened since they can sometime lose control of their bodily functions. Keep him on a leash. All my dogs under normal conditions comes when called but after a seizure they can be very out of it and not come to you.

When the dog is having a seizure its also important to stay calm and talk to the dog in a low voice. Panic and loud noises can actually stress the dog out more and make the situation worse.

Best of luck. Its a tough situation to be in but do what you can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page