Question for bird hunters with pointing dogs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Question for bird hunters with pointing dogs

After some convoís with some upland hunters I know. I got curious to know who all that hunts any upland game from grouse to pheasant that shoot at wild flushes. Meaning not pointed birds or bumped. Example your dog is 100 yards to your left and a bird goes up in front of you?
For me I donít shoot any bird unless they are pointed. Iím out there for the dogs and Iím not a youth so I just hold off for it to be pointed to try and harvest the bird.
After talking with others I seemed to be the only one. Though they seemed to give some species of birds a pass for only pointed but others were free game for wild flushes.
Even though I gave them a hard time it is legal to do and I am not looking down on anyone that does I was just wondering if I am a major minority. Also this wouldnít apply to non dog hunters or flushing dog hunters though I guess you could use the only shoot if your flusher got it up I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Question for bird hunters with pointing dogs

I don't, my setter is still young and learning and I want her to be steady to flush.
(Although it takes all the will power I can muster not too )

I try to mark it and get Willow in there for a point and re-flush.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Depends on if my Springer sees the bird or not. If I flush the bird and the dog sees it and sits down like he's supposed to, I'll shoot. If he doesn't see the bird, or sees it and isn't steady, I won't shoot. I'm there more for the dog than the birds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM

I ground pound and limb swat too.

PCD Enlightened
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:44 PM

I do not shoot unless the bird was pointed, not even stop to flush. Bumped birds by a first year puppy is usually a no too. Not because "I'm special" or consider myself elite but, to keep my reasoning simple, it's A.- Why own a pointer then? and B.- It's part of my own little bird conservation plan. Honestly I was wondering the other day why carry loaded during the times when I may be carry a sidearm. As most of the time it's pointless, excuse the pun.

I too know a fair amount that shoot unpointed birds over pointers, I guess for me the process is enjoyable enough to go that route. The only thing that bothers me about it in regards to those that do is it can be humbling at times to discuss harvest numbers with guys that shoot on wild flushes as I never point that out to them, so the numbers conversation is usually humbly-awkward unless and until I'm asked if I only shoot handled birds only...and when that happens I feel a lot better as it's revealed I'm no less inept.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcaddis
I ground pound and limb swat too.
you forgot hotspot.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyco Setter
I do not shoot unless the bird was pointed, not even stop to flush. Bumped birds by a first year puppy is usually a no too. Not because "I'm special" or consider myself elite but, to keep my reasoning simple, it's A.- Why own a pointer then? and B.- It's part of my own little bird conservation plan. Honestly I was wondering the other day why carry loaded during the times when I may be carry a sidearm. As most of the time it's pointless, excuse the pun.

I too know a fair amount that shoot unpointed birds over pointers, I guess for me the process is enjoyable enough to go that route. The only thing that bothers me about it in regards to those that do is it can be humbling at times to discuss harvest numbers with guys that shoot on wild flushes as I never point that out to them, so the numbers conversation is usually humbly-awkward unless and until I'm asked if I only shoot handled birds only...and when that happens I feel a lot better as it's revealed I'm no less inept.
that is explained perfectly. that is what i was trying to express that for me it is about the most enjoyable way
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 PM

That too!

Nothing is safe around me.

I have loose lips too!

PCD Enlightened
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 PM
The Man

I hunt with a flusher and will most likely shoot any bird within our range. I would rather shoot birds that are flushed directly from my dog, but for now, I am shooting anything.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not me, I'm a "purist". I stroll around the woods with my gun broken over my shoulder. Smoking my pipe of course. Any birds foot flushed are ignored.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page