I joined Pheasants Forever - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I joined Pheasants Forever

Although I hunt grouse 95% of the time and rarely hunt pheasants (PGC stocked birds)...I got a flyer in the mail to join and after reading about the organization I was really impressed with the work they do...plus for $50 you could be a Rooster Booster which got me the magazine, a nice hat and $30 in Gander Mountain bucks. I am looking forward to getting their magazine also. Has anyone else taken advantage of the recent deal they had to gain membership?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: I joined Pheasants Forever

Welcome aboard Barberry. I joined the RGS two years ago and I hunt pheasant 95% of the time. I also joined DU this year after being out for about 4 years. Maybe it was the free duck call

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:08 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have just renewed my membership, the $30.00 gander mountain card is a good deal and their magazine. I also belong to RGS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 AM
New Arrival

I have been thinking about joining RGS and finding time to volunteer some off season time is there a good chapter in north central pa?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:17 PM

Good for you Barberry. If you want to be active in the local chapter it is best to contact them and see when they meet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just found out how much I like pheasant hunting this year, and I think ill be joining here soon as well, seems like a great organization!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I think like most of us (outdoorsmen that is) we all belong (or should belong) to many organizations. I am a member of Ducks Unlimited, Trout Unlimited, Western PA Conservancy, etc. Most of the organizations I belong to and am active in are related more to water quality and such since that is my profession. However, all of these organizations, if you look at the big picture, have the same goal...better habitat for our natural resources. I am going to look into the PF local chapter as I hope they are active in NW PA. I am very interested in bringing back wild pheasants to PA and have my own opinions on the whole pheasant vs wild bird argument...which I won't get into. I wish they would establish another WFRA in NWPA in the near future.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm running out of room on my hat rack and in my knife drawer from all the PF and RGS membership premiums I've gotten over the years. Although like you, Barberry, I don't get much personal benefit from PF, I've been a member for over a decade. Just seems like the right thing to do.

I've been an RGS member a lot longer than that (might be pushing 20 years now). I'm a huge believer in what they're about, not just from a game enhancement standpoint, but also from a scientific forest management and ecological standpoint.

Like Lynn, I slide in and out of a couple other groups when the mood (or duck call) strikes too: DU and RMEF were the most recent ones, though I'm no longer current with either of those.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Grousechaser...wanted to let you know I purchased your book. Can't wait to read it.

I used to love to duck hunt so I joined DU when I was 16 years old and have been a member since...I think they are a great organization...same with TU since it is really a grassroots organization and I am active with them. Actually, the group I fall in and out of membership with is the RGS even though that is what I spend 99% of my time doing. I just don't see a lot of the things they do. I am not knocking them, however, I would just like to see more hands on stuff from them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page