Unexpected Christmas present! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Unexpected Christmas present!

Went to my best friend's house last night for a New Year's Eve get-together and received a very unexpected Christmas gift: a 1926 Ithaca NID Field Grade 12g SxS! Its got dual triggers and a setter on point engraved on either side of the receiver. Barrels are made for smokeless powder, ie. modern loads. I don't know what the choke for each barrel is and I'm going to have a gunsmith also look to make sure it's chambered 2-3/4". I don't know too much about these guns.

His dad had it in his collection (he was a dealer) and he recently passed away this fall. My friend said he figured his dad would be happy for me to have it and hunt with it over my dog so he cleaned it up and gave it to me. I was stunned and very, very grateful. I can't wait to use it.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Sage

Re: Unexpected Christmas present!

I have one myself, You will notice two pins on top of the receiver they are cocking pins and when you fire a barrel the pin for that barrel will fall. will re-cock when you break open and close the gun.

Mine is chambered in 2 3/4. I killed my first gobbler with mine It was my grandfather's hunting buddy's gun...They bought them new together and my younger brother got my Gramps as I got his Parker as a Christmas gift. That one has been with me for 51 years now, the NID about 40.

Take care of it and enjoy it!

wmu 3A
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Sage

Had to hit the safe for choke info

number on barrel flats
4 full
3 Imp. Mod
2 Mod
1 Imp cyl
0 Cyl

mine is 2 and 4.

Hope this helps

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Show us some pics.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Sage

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...hoto&FORM=IGRE

wmu 3A
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the info, yes my buddy found out what those pins were for, pretty neat idea. I had no idea where to find that choke info so thanks again. I'm trapped on the couch right now by a snoozing drahthaar in my lap or else I'd look to see what the chokes are. The gun is in fair condition, certainly shootable but shows its age a bit with some pitting and scratches on the barrel as well as dings and scratches on the stock. I'd say it's near the lower end of the value range for this gun (I would never sell it anyway.) I'm really looking forward to enjoying it in the field. I went for a few hours for grouse today and was tempted to bring it but I want to have it looked over first. The dual triggers will provide some interesting moments while I get used to that!

Twisted Oak, thanks for the PM as well, appreciate the info. Went out for grouse on the gamelands off Rte 93. Long walk, saw nothing, zero points= disappointment! Maybe should have taken a cue from the 5 cockbirds that walked thru my yard this morning and chased pheasants instead.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Sage

It's coming up to near a century old..I hope it shows some wear! Again, best of luck with yours!!!

Lynn, I gave up posting pics several years ago don't have the photobucket accounts any longer. They kept changing things and I got aggravated... I guess they are still changing but I'm no longer aggravated

wmu 3A
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

That's the kind of friend we all need more of! Congrats and enjoy!

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:42 PM

I almost went there today
but decided with the light snow coating to see if there were any pheasants left.
took me half the day till I even seen signs ,but then she
put up a hen and pushed an ursain bolt like rooster that I think is still running

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Okay, checked the barrel flats. Left barrel is full, right barrel is modified. Oh yeah and according to the serial # it's not a Flues model. Lynn, I'll try to post a pic of it after its first (hopefully successful) hunt with me!

Twistedoak, glad to hear you got out. I didn't really set my plans as to when & where or else I'd have given you a ring. I can't get out this Saturday but hope to the following Saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page