Grouse on fresh snow - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Grouse on fresh snow

Hi all was out grouse hunting on fri afternoon on snow that fell early that morning. It was mid afternoon and a excellent area. Didn't cross but maybe 3 sets of tracks in the snow. Did have 3 flushes but 2 were birds that were already roosted in some pines. My question is will grouse typically not move around on "fresh" snow? These are the first 3 birds I've ever flushed just curious why they weren't more on the ground. The one that was on the ground didn't give a safe shot as I was over top my buddies head. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Grouse on fresh snow

I went out yesterday and we crossed a lot of grouse tracks. The birds held really tight for the dog. Most were in groups, but We did have a few singles. I think it depends on the weather that day.My dad and i had 14 flushes and got 3 grouse.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 05:46 PM

IME generally no, not in the fresh stuff. Friday all bird were either in pines or underneath. Saturday morning after the 3-4" of powder settled to 1-2" of snow they weren't sinking into, they were down and moving. (Crops of birds from both days were nearly empty, they were down to feed.) The one place I don't bother with when there's that sort of snow amount is areas that contain dead ferns and shin-high sections of laurel. It seems to turn that amount of snow into 5-6" for the birds and is tough going.

This bird has his track shoes on:

Both days were tough conditions where I was, still moved about 20 birds, with three situations warranting a shot.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 AM

We had great hunting yesterday. The warm temp had the birds out and feeding. Decided to hunt my derby, he has 4 horseback placements this fall and handles grouse no problem. As you can tell by the picture most of the snow melted where I was hunting but we had a coating when we started the morning.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Frequent Contributor

That is one fine looking pointer!!

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM

I had trouble pinpointing them the other day, found plenty of day old sign. there is a large laurel patch next to this cut and i figure that is where they were that day.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Glad to see someone got on some. The area I was hunting looked about like gobblers pic. Also it wasn't very warm 28-30 the time we were there. No dog I left him at home bc my collar has been acting up. Reguardless just glad I got to see one!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM
New Arrival

We were out the day after Christmas at ricketts glen and we covered miles of clear cuts and swampy areas with a very good German shorthair. We only saw 1 grouse and 1 rabbit. Grouse numbers are way down in that area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page