Another Late Season Rooster. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Another Late Season Rooster.

This is the first LatePheasant season I can ever remember here in Adams County. It's nice to have this opportunity this time of year.

The rain broke late morning and I was getting antsy. the dog and I haven't been out since last monday due to illness and christmas stuff. So I dusted off the old single shot that hasn't been out of the gun safe in many years and loaded Willie into the truck.

The fields were pretty flat and there was a slight drizzle coming down. I decided not to put Willies bell on him since I would be able to see him pretty well. I believe that Willie enjoyed the quite as well.

First point was about 10 mins from the truck in some thick honeysuckle and briars along a wood line. I stepped in to flush and I saw the bird break from his spot and start running. He never took flight until he was a good distance away and it wasn't worth trying to take teh shot through all of the thick woods.

Willie went back to work. He had a drive and a calmness like I have never seen in him before. Normally he is all [censored] and vinegar for the first 30 mins or so, but not today. He was hunting like I have always wanted him to.

the Next point produced 6 hens out of a field. The first 3 flushed at once and Willie gave a short chase of about 20 feet and circled back to where they were and went on point again. I moved in a little closer and the next 3 took off. I've never seen that many pheasants together before.

We worked our way back towards the woods and Willie went on point again near some Honeysuckle. I walked up and flushed a rooster. This time I had a clean shot and the bird dropped to the Old Single shot.

We hunted for another hour flushing a bunch more hens, but no more roosters. One bird in the bag and the best day hunting ever with Willie. We've had days where we shot more birds, or I missed some, but teh dog work from Willie was the best ever on this day. I can't express how happy I am with him and how wonderful the hunt was.

Willie has been inconsistent this year (his second season). Often deciding that he's going to be a flusher instead of a pointer. Or bumping birds badly. Other times he settles down and has produced some nice points. But today I believe that it all came together. Upwards of 15 hens today (lost count)many singles and doubles, 2 roosters, and every single point was rock solid. No bumps, no flushes, and not a single word said other than "Good Boy" at the end.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Sage

Re: Another Late Season Rooster.

wmu 3A
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks like a wet Willie to me

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 07:20 PM
The Man

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats Angus. This is my pup's second year as well. He's had many of the same issues, bumping birds, etc. But Friday he too did more things right than he had all season. Maybe it has to do with the scenting conditions now that the plant life is about as dead as it gets ?

These are the good old days.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Way to go!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

JEALOUS!!! Going out Tuesday I hope!!!

A man who is blessed with one good bird dog in his life is truely blessed...Ted Nugent
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Nice!

V10 advocate
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:56 PM

Very nice to see things are coming together.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for taking us along, that just made up for a crappy Monday.
Give Willie a big o belly rub for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page