5C pheasant hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

5C pheasant hunting

well this is my first year seriously pheasant hunting, and it has become a obsession of sorts I guess! wish I would've started sooner. so my first time out, I was lucky enough to meet a guy that allowed me to follow him around and told me to take first shot if we flushed something, so we got down to the end of the field and I stop to tie my shoe and a hen flushes and im just standing there watching the thing fly away(never seen a pheasant before) and hes telling me to shoot! ha! that sealed the deal for me, my knees were a little wobbly like I get from seeing a deer! didn't get nothing that day but had a blast! so buddy and I decided to hit that spot up the following Saturday and after we pushed to the end of a field with nothing to show we here this cackling, sounded just like the pheasants do on tv so we figured there was maybe some roosters went over to check it out and he goes messing around in some thick stuff while I stay back I didn't feel like messin in the briars, as im watching him this hen flushes like 4 feet from right next to me about gave me a heart attack I miss that sucker two time! don't know what happened. so now im bummed, we go and push another field he flushes a bird and misses and then I flush it again and I miss two more times, now im bummed. so we decided to do one more push, as were walking I find a dead rooster laying on the ground I picked it up and decided to take it to see if was any good still didn't smell bad or anything. about ten minutes later my buddy flushes a hen and it flys right infront of me and I miss three times, I decided Im done for the day!! he goes back around and flushes a beautiful rooster he dumps with one shot.

so we go back out on the following Monday and aren't seeing anything till about half hr before quitting time and I see these birds running from me and I yell to my buddy theres some over here I flush two, I get the first one and he gets the one that flew away from us when he does that another one flushes and I hit it once but im out of shells then he hits it and it falls, so we go to get our birds and as im going to get my first another flushes I get it and we've both got our limit in maybe five minutes! best day afield this year so far.

so yesterday I decided I was gonna go out and hunt the same spot ive been hunting and see whats happening with all the snow, so im seeing tons of tracks and then I hear that cackling again, which brings me to a question does hens and roosters do that "cackling" or just roosters? anyway I hear that and go towards it, never could find it, but as I circled around one last time im walking and looking and I see something and im like what the heck is that, I get closer and I think dang that looks like a hen sittin there. I figured it was dead and nobody found it because it was sitting stone still, but I got ready just incase I got about 3 feet from it and she takes off flying like crazy kinda took me back for a second how fast she got up, I shoot once and connected but it didn't knock her down second time I aimed better and she went down like a sack of taters!

sorry for the long post I just wanted to share my pictures and my pheasant hunting so far this year, I plan on hitting it till the season ends! I know theyre hens and stocked birds but man am I having a ball going after them and getting a little bit of success, and man do they taste good!! all these birds are off some public ground in 5C I think theres still a lot of birds left out there guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 5C pheasant hunting

Nice job, but I'd be a little leary about eating the one you found
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

congratulations. on those birds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great report and thanks for sharing. I think your like a lot of us and hooked for life.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm afraid you have developed an addiction for pheasant hunting. There is no cure and all you can do is continue to feed your habit. I've had the same addiction for 47 years and the only person who has it worse than me is my dog. There's no hope for her either

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You boys have had it,there is no cure. Soon you will be planning your vacation time around pheasant season. I don't know what it is about this bird, but he has taken hold of a many of us. I can still remember my first pheasant. It was Thanksgiving Day 1968, a light snow was falling and I followed the tracks in the snow and used a single shot 410. I have that bird mounted, still have the shotgun and empty shell case. Yep...I got it bad too!

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 11:29 PM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallace911
so yesterday I decided I was gonna go out and hunt the same spot ive been hunting and see whats happening with all the snow, so im seeing tons of tracks and then I hear that cackling again, which brings me to a question does hens and roosters do that "cackling" or just roosters?
Only the roosters will crow or cackle. There must have also been a rooster in the area of the hen that you shot.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswallace911
so yesterday I decided I was gonna go out and hunt the same spot ive been hunting and see whats happening with all the snow, so im seeing tons of tracks and then I hear that cackling again, which brings me to a question does hens and roosters do that "cackling" or just roosters?
Only the roosters will crow or cackle. There must have also been a rooster in the area of the hen that you shot.
nice!! my buddy and I are going back tomorrow after I get done work, hopefully we catch up with him
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 AM

It is not an addiction. It is a bad case of bird flu. Treatment includes exercise and fresh air. A dog tends to make things better. Good luck with your treatment.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page