The Thaw, Where to look for grouse - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The Thaw, Where to look for grouse

We have around 8"-10" of snow in my neck of the woods. Should be thawing out this weekend. Looks to be 57 on Saturday. Imagine there will be fog.

I have been dying to get back out there and grouse hunt. Where would you be looking for grouse with melting snow and fog. I am imagining they will be in pines roosted in the trees, on the outskirts of poplar, and grape vine thickets. I have a few spots in mind, but was thinking you all may know where they would be more likely to be with these conditions.

Also how do you hunt when you expect them to be in the trees and not on the ground, if you have a dog with you. Hang back and let the dog get in front to try and get them to flush out from the dog. I imagine shots would be longer on treed grouse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Re: The Thaw, Where to look for grouse

yeah i think you have a good idea on looking near some pines. but i think you are also right there should be a lot of fog which isn't good at all. as for shooting i cant help im one of those weirdo's and i don't take wild flush shots only take shots from pointed birds. so ones coming out of trees get a pass from me.

i think you have some good ideas on where to look, stick to that plan and good luck.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: The Thaw, Where to look for grouse

I'll take the fog over rain. I'm hoping the rain holds off this Saturday.

Hopefully the warmer temps will have the birds out and about. I have some nice hemlock edges in mind.

good luck Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page