Stocking diseased pheasants - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Stocking diseased pheasants

So you really want to know whatís happening to the wild birds in Pa, its simple to explain. It seems the Loyalsock pheasant farm has discovered an outbreak of Avian cholera, you got it, diseased birds. The only way to destroy the disease is to destroy the birds, slaughter and burn. But to satisfy all of our wonderful chicken killers, these birds are being treated with an anti-biotic and will then be released for your killing pleasure. The disease spreads easily in cold wet weather, guess what we have now? And since the GC has a habit of stocking chickens over top of grouse and woodcock, this disease will easily be spread to them. The disease stays active in wet soils for long enough time that it will spread to wild birds, freezing soils will not kill the disease. This means as woodcock migrate back north, they will easily contact the disease. With grouse grouping up this time of year for feeding, it will easily spread as they disperse into their normal home ranges. This cholera outbreak didnít just happen, its been there for a while, even if undetected, which means diseased birds were stocked this past October & November, which means it was spread even further into our wild birds. Anyone involved with approving this fiasco should be fired and serve jail time. So much for the resource comes first from our wonder GC. Its time to stop this stocking and put an end to all pheasant stockings in the wild.

Refer to news release 99-13. Diseased birds will be stocked in Clearfield, Cumberland, Franklin, Carbon, Monroe, Berks, Bucks, Chester, Lehigh, and Montgomery counties.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Stocking diseased pheasants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAgain
Its time to stop this stocking and put an end to all pheasant stockings in the wild.
Yikes ! That's a bit drastic, isn't it ?

These are the good old days.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 PM
dap

I recieved and read the press release on Winter Pheasant Stocking.

I wasn't familiar with Avian Cholera, but Google searches and Wikipedia shows that "<span style="font-style: italic">The most efficient treatment in breeding flocks or laying hens is individual intramuscular injections of a long-acting tetracyclines, with the same antibiotic in drinking water, simultaneously. The mortality and clinical signs will stop within one week, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">but the bacteria might remain present in the flock</span></span></span>.

I agree with LostAgain that these birds should be destroyed rather than let loose in the wild. I don't agree with his backhanded jab at pheasant hunters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:13 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap
I recieved and read the press release on Winter Pheasant Stocking.

I wasn't familiar with Avian Cholera, but Google searches and Wikipedia shows that "The most efficient treatment in breeding flocks or laying hens is individual intramuscular injections of a long-acting tetracyclines, with the same antibiotic in drinking water, simultaneously. The mortality and clinical signs will stop within one week, but the bacteria might remain present in the flock.

I agree with LostAgain that these birds should be destroyed rather than let loose in the wild. I don't agree with his backhanded jab at pheasant hunters.
Agree with both statements

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, and probably costs a fortune to inoculate all the birds anyway, and even then it don't sound safe
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 PM

I agree that teh birds should be destroyed and no more pheasants reared at the game farm until it is certified clean.

No need to take it out on the hunters.

If they do do away with the pheasant stocking program I guess all of us SC pa hunters will have to invade the northern forests to hunt some birds. With the quail gone and all, there's not much left. Then we can stink up all of Lostagains coverts.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
dap

The more I read about Avian Cholera the more I don't understand about why they still plan on stocking the infected birds.

Here is a quote from the United States Geological Survey - National Wildlife Health Center - Avian Cholera Fact Sheet

"Birds that survive infection and become carriers appear to be a more likely source of P. multocida for outbreaks
and probably play an important role in spreading the disease." They are speaking primarily of outbreaks in waterfowl, but I doubt that bird species react differently to the disease.

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

We all have our feelings about the pheasant stocking program, but I'd think we might all agree that these 2,500 birds should be destroyed. I'd hardly think there would be much backlash with pheasant hunters over 2,500 birds??

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 PM

I'm all for exterminating the affected birds.
in all other respects this has been a great year for the PGC pheasant program ,its not worth ruining it.
even if it means no Christmas pheasants.

but if you think about it,in the counties affected by the release what wild birds are they worried about?
there are no wild pheasants or quail in them areas.
while I have spotted an occasional grouse or woodcock ,they are small isolated pockets miles from stocking areas.

I'd be more worried about where previous releases from this farm went and if in fact they were infected or not

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 PM
dap

Here is another quote from the United States Geological Survey - National Wildlife Health Center - Avian Cholera Fact Sheet

Avian cholera is the most important infectious disease affecting wild North American waterfowl.

I'm not familiar with the counties noted, but I suspect there are ducks and / or geese present and located in the same areas being stocked. And as LostAgain noted, woodcock would certainly use the same areas on their northern migration.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page