Who would you take to your favorite grouse coverts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Who would you take to your favorite grouse coverts

Just wondering, how many of you share coverts with others. I enjoy hunting by myself and with others. I am learning that good grouse coverts are something that can be considered a prized possession. Also I would imagine that if I were to invite someone to hunt with me in my located coverts, I would expect them to invite me to hunt theirs as well.

Is it wrong to ask them not to hunt these areas, if not accompanied by you, even if it is on public land? I want to hunt with others, but am very afraid of revealing this areas I worked hard to find. I have gotten burned in the past with deer hunting, and taking people to hunt with me, or explaining to them where I hunt.

I have a great friend, who I trust very deeply and am not afraid to share coverts with him, as he will share his with me. Other than that, I am hesitant to share my spots with other people. Who do you trust, and do you ever share/swap hunts with others? Is it understood, that in grouse hunting if you bring someone to one of your scouted coverts, that they do not return without your presence? I am beginning to believe that a great grouse spot is something that should be more protected than a great whitetails spot, With how habitat picky grouse are, it is even more important to keep it under the radar. Have you ever/ would you ever, take any strangers (members of a forum, that you do not know personally) to any of your grouse spots?

it seems that one might be better off being a loner in the grouse woods...

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Who would you take to your favorite grouse coverts

In my experience as with all kinds of hunting spots, you will usually get burned for your generosity. Sadly seems to be human nature to stab people in the back. I shared some great spots with people and ended up coming back to bite me. I generally hunt with my son now. Less drama.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Sage

I wouldn't even tell my blabber mouth dog!!

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle
I wouldn't even tell my blabber mouth dog!!
"Roll that beautiful bean footage" reminds me of the Bush Baked beans commercials. LOL

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Banned

Absolutly, I blindfold my dog before we leave the house. I know a while lot of people, there are maybe 2 other than my grandson I would take to my coverts.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Part of the Community

Lets face it some people are lazy. Nobody wants to do the dirty work. I scout for grouse all year long. If I take my friends grouse hunting I take them to a spot that don't use often and I don't plan on going back there. I have had some awesome spots that I have taken friends to and I found out they were going there with other people. You know the other people are going there all the time and probably taking there friends there too. Now there's hardly any birds. I don't tell anyone my new hot spots. I rather hunt on my own anyway. I don't have to worry about my buddies untrained dogs chasing birds.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 PM

I have taken many to my spots, including at least 6 from HPA. Some areas are public land and I tell them they are public and they can hunt them anytime they wish. However, Our private land is off limits unless I am there as it is a private lease. I think I am pretty generous when I take people out so I hope they wouldn't hunt our lease when I am not there. I think most would want an invite back, so far there have been zero problems. At least that I know about!!!!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:12 PM

I will take anybody with a good dog!

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Nes

Keep the best to yourself so you don't regret it. There are trustworthy people but you would be surprised the ones that will betray your trust.

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It doesn't take long to learn this lesson. Whether its fishing or hunting or berry picking for that matter, "loose lips sink ships". That being said, anybody who wants to take me to their favorite grouse spots is free to do so

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page