Cold Hands - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Cold Hands

Late season bird hunting is chilly on the hands. I never have found a good solution for cold fingers. I think mittens are warmer since fingers touch one another, however you would have to take the mittens off to shoot. After a little web searching, I found a pic of vintage russian military 3 finger mittens. They look interesting, but finding something similar doesn't look promising. What have you found that works to keep your hands warm and functional for late season bird hunting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 AM
The Man

Re: Cold Hands

Unless it's bitter cold, I only use polypropylene glove liners. They are thin enough so they don't interfere with triggers and safetys, but still keep my fingers warm. Walmart used to sell them, but the best place I've found is Ebay. I just bought 3 pairs a month or so ago for under $20 total. I usually carry a couple pair so I can change if one pair gets wet.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 11:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use the Mechanix wear gloves you can get them at a auto parts store , they keep you warm and you can easily shoot with them on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Sage

Left hand a heavy leather insulated glove for briars and thorn; right hand a cheap brown cotton jersey work glove with a spare or two if one gets wet.

wmu 3A
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 12:19 PM

I wear a pair of Under armour glove liners. Like said above, they are very thin and keep the chill off. Hands still get cold if it's real cold out, but not too bad. I also use Handwarmer's in the pockets and stick a hand in now and then.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 01:09 PM

normally its just a pair of thin gloves ,
but if it really gets cold I have a pair of mittens that has a pull back finger part.
they are split down the palm and with a flick of my fingers the top flops back and I got 4 exposed fingers.

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmaster4
Unless it's bitter cold, I only use polypropylene glove liners. They are thin enough so they don't interfere with triggers and safetys, but still keep my fingers warm. Walmart used to sell them, but the best place I've found is Ebay. I just bought 3 pairs a month or so ago for under $20 total. I usually carry a couple pair so I can change if one pair gets wet.
^^^This^^^^ I have sweaty hands, and then they get cold right away. These thin liners usually keep my hands warmer than heavy gloves - I know that sounds backwards, but it's true. There are many types of poly cloth that they are made from, some thinner than others. The military ones are some of the thickest and toughest I've seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page