Grouse fan plaques - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Grouse fan plaques

I managed to put together the fan from the grouse the Lilly and I got this past weekend. I am salting it now, and will be putting on borax, once the feathers get a bit stiffer. I did this with my turkey fan and had success.

I am looking for any links, or people you can suggest for a nice plaque. I saw one on ebay that looks nice and is also a desk display that I really like. it is 25.00 and looks to be worth it. Just want to know what others have done. I really want this to look nice, and will be displaying It in my office at work.

Any ideas for plaques or display would be appreciated. Here is how I have the fan now. I am letting the meat shrink a bit around the feathers that had fallen out, (left side) then will try to make it more circular, and look better. Cant believe I got it to look this good as over 1/3rd of the feathers were pulled out, when the bird attempted to come back to life and Lilly chomped him.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Grouse fan plaques

Don't mid the messy shoe shelf, and my pistol permit laying there. LOL

also looking at the fan, the center band colors are not perfectly filled int. could I have been wrong that this bird was in fact a male?

Here is the pic of the bird. I am curious to know for sure if it was a male. I have been reading a lot on these birds recently, and learned that the center feathers should be solid on a male, and that the male has more ruffed feathers by the neck. Any insight would be appreciated.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:12 PM

BowMike,
What I like to do is make a shadown box out of 3 or 4
nice big Grouse tails, one of the guys up in Alaska turned me on to this many years ago. Using spent shotgun shells and different pictures. I had the shadow box pictured below made up with some of my GSP Rosie's Grouse Tails, shortly after she passed away, with some additional smaller pictures of other memories around the edges. I really liked how it turned out. You could do something similar with your 1st Grouse tail & pictures.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 04:23 PM

Bowmike, your bird looks to be a female.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 05:09 PM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmike
also looking at the fan, the center band colors are not perfectly filled int. could I have been wrong that this bird was in fact a male?
If the subterminal band is unbroken, it is most likely a male. If it is broken, it could be male or female since some percentage (I'm thinking around 20%) of males have a broken tail band.

An easy way to identify male from female that is 95% accurate is to measure the middle tail feather. If it is under 5 1/2 inches it is a female. If it is over 5 7/8 inches it is a male. The feather must be measured from tip to tip though and should be pulled out of the meat in order to get an accurate measurement.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

BirdMike,
I think there's a company that advertises fan plaques in RGS Magazine. I'll try to remember to look when I get home tonight. That said, you might as well go ahead and join RGS, which gets you the magazine subscription. You're clearly an addict now so you might as well go all in.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

In addition to the charts below, males will also have an orange or reddish patch over their eyes.

to warm barrels and cold noses
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM

What about the dots on the rump feathers?? Two for male and one for female. I thought that was a pretty accurate test.

Well you guys just beat me to it.

PCD Enlightened
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I am contemplating joining RGS just want to be sure on what all that it does. Some other wild life "conservation" groups that I have thought about joining turned me off. I have been researching RGS and have not found anything bad.

If any members of RGS can pm me on what RGS does, and where you feel your money gos, and such I would love to hear it.

I still have some of the secondary feathers and will check the 1/2 dot check tonight.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

PM sent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page