The "Good Old Days" of Pheasant Hunting are back" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The "Good Old Days" of Pheasant Hunting are back"

Every pheasant hunter I talk to are having a great season. Birds harvested per hours hunted are at an all time high. Now is the time to get that dog you've been thinking about. Don'miss it! The four in season releases are resulting in bird flushes throughout the week.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: The "Good Old Days" of Pheasant Hunting are back"

My dad and I just had a great morning today hunting with my young dog. He was really good today, hunted close and searched every inch of cover. It was awesome to watch. It was damp with no wind so his points were very close. We put 3 cockbirds in the bag. Two were shot by me and the other flushed right into my dog and he just brought it back to me, son I rang its neck and gave it to my dad. One of the birds I winged and it went into the woods and ran. Quade ran it down, disappearing into the hollow and returning a minute later with the bird!

Besides the good dog work, I was happy with my shooting. I missed the very first bird pointed when it flushed straight at me and I mistakenly tried to "aim." After that I just followed the birds with my eyes, brought the gun up and fired. I think I'm starting to get my form back, knock on wood. We even were surprised by a woodcock flush, first time we'd ever seen one on this farm. I got the gun up a second too late. Just a real fun morning shared with my dad.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

We've been whacking 'em and stacking 'em all season long !
Three roosters and a hen yesterday. All three of the roosters were beautiful, HUGE birds. My brit didn't even bother attempting a retrieve by the last one. Too heavy for him !

These are the good old days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Part of the Community

I was glad to see the circus left town. Today I saw one other bird hunter at two different SGLs. Put up around 12 birds in a little over 2 hours of hunting.
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:26 PM

I have to disagree. The "Good Old Days" are back when the pheasants were WILD birds and not stocked. I use to hunt pheasants in SE Pa. back in the mid 70's. That WAS the "Good Old Days". The only reason the PGC is stocking so many birds now is because the extra money they have received from the natural gas industry. I do commend the PGC for the pheasant program but it's not like hunting those wily wild birds of the 70's.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:47 PM

Sorry, but the good old days are in the past. I only see stocked birds. This being only in areas stocked. If your old enough to remember the real good old days they were not the result of the hatchery truck. But if you like shooting stocked birds then you are right these are some good times. The real good old days had pheasants on private land and everywhere else. Then as the flying predators increased in numbers the pheasant numbers fell.
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Regular Visitor

I have to say this season I have seen more stocked in my area that in any other year
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

We are having a great season! I would like to thank the PGC for making this happen.
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Part of the Community

I agree. Its been a great season. I see a good many birds on private farms in my little area. Great job by the PGC
post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStump
I agree. Its been a great season. I see a good many birds on private farms in my little area. Great job by the PGC
X2 Great job PGC!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page