Other Quail - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Other Quail

Does anyone know anyone or the PGC releasing other breeds of quail in PA? It seems like their are heartier quail than Bob Whites. I don't know much about quail but it would be nice to release a breed of bird for dog training that did not need to rely on agriculture practices and could live through our winters. How about mountain quail? Maybe they would be a nice addition to grouse in our forests…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM

Re: Other Quail

I have never heard of the PGC releasing any kind of quail. I for one would love to see money put into habitat instead of releasing more pen raised birds. Last thing we need is another nonnative species released for no reason.

We can buy birds cheap for dog training. Bobwhites are great for this.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 PM

I kinda think that if another species of quail were better suited for PA it would already have been here.
habitat is the key ,
so unless we have found a new breed of suburban quail I think were better off trying to work with our natives

Da hawk ate my baby!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:02 AM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesh
Does anyone know anyone or the PGC releasing other breeds of quail in PA? It seems like their are heartier quail than Bob Whites. I don't know much about quail but it would be nice to release a breed of bird for dog training that did not need to rely on agriculture practices and could live through our winters. How about mountain quail? Maybe they would be a nice addition to grouse in our forests…
I'm confused. We have grouse in the forests. You are permitted to hunt them and use them for dog training. Why would a non-native species be a nice addition?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Banned

They tried Valley quail several years ago, they didn't take.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am all about habitat too, but when guys go out to do dog training they usually use chukars because there is no season. I am thinking of an alternative to chukars that would have a better chance of being a liberated bird if it escapes while dog training. Bob Whites can be shot while in season and only in particular regions of the state. Chukars run…Some other breeds of quail don't have a season and probably hold better…may like forests too...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 AM

the last thing I want to do is try and ID what particular type of quail I just flushed.

from what I can gather pen raised quail do only slightly better then pen raised pheasants.
so stocking can only be of limited success.
the PGC has just started rolling on a quail restoration project , and while they are different birds I think the PGC has learned a few things from the WPR projects.
i'm willing to wait and see.

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 02:37 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
I am all about habitat too, but when guys go out to do dog training they usually use chukars because there is no season. I am thinking of an alternative to chukars that would have a better chance of being a liberated bird if it escapes while dog training. Bob Whites can be shot while in season and only in particular regions of the state. Chukars run…Some other breeds of quail don't have a season and probably hold better…may like forests too...
All this business about "liberated" pen-raised birds surviving and then hopefully establishing some sort of population is a misguided pipe dream of some hunters.

Chukars hold just fine for training and make for good table fare after a day of training.

The fact of the matter with Bobwhites is that Pennsylvania is on the fringe northern edge of their range.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR
Quote:
The fact of the matter with Bobwhites is that Pennsylvania is on the fringe northern edge of their range.
This is true to an extent but not a reason to not try establishing quail. There were wild quail in this area in the 50/60s and this is half way in the middle of the state so much of the state had birds.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I didn't mean to imply that reestablishing Bobwhites wasn't worthwhile (if it's a wild bird program.) I was just stating that fact about PA being on the northern fringe of their range so hunters realize a population here will always be even more prone to be more readily impacted by things like adverse weather (for nesting or overwintering), loss of habitat, etc.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page