Hard day's worth of hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hard day's worth of hunting

Well, like I do every Veteran's Day I planned to "celebrate" my day, afield, hunting with my dog. After a light breakfast we started the day off near home at Beltzville State Park. I'd hoped to try to relocate a woodcock we found in a small patch on Sunday but the lot already had 4 trucks in it so we headed down the road. Hunted for 3 hours in a spot that usually produces a few birds but only saw one, that another hunter bagged.

We headed up to SGL119 near Hickory Run. Hunted for another few hours, my dog was really working hard and doing a pretty good job of hunting close. It was impressive to watch this young dog bust thru some nasty, thick brush and thorns, even belly crawl, all to find game. We were in the woods in a damp area along a marsh, I'm thinking woodcock (we found a dead one) but lo and behold Quade finds and points a pheasant. Unfortunately it flushed before I got there and offered no shot thru the trees. We continued hunting all the way around the marsh but found no other birds.

I headed over to SGL40 but there were about 8 or 9 trucks there. We took a drive and checked out where SGL91 is before sending up at Lackawanna State Forest to end the day. Headed out a snowmobile trail and then hunted our way back to the truck through the thick cover by roughly paralleling the trail until we hit the road we came in on. We hunted hard and bounced around exploring and I'm tired and so's the dog but we had fun. Sure would like to get a shot at some woodcock or grouse soon though.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Re: Hard day's worth of hunting

That is a hard day of hunting. I hope your find some woodcock or grouse soon to reward your dog's work.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, he worked hard and hunted through some terrain with rough footing. I was proud of him and impressed, he's got tons of drive.

I would've liked to have spent more time at Lackawanna, looked like it could be promising. We didn't start there until 2:30PM and since I'd never been here I wanted to stay relatively close to the trail and not get too turned around that I couldn't figure out which direction to head out to intersect back up with the trail.

I hope to get up to some of the state forests further North in Lycoming, Potter, Tioga and just spend a whole day hunting along the trails and old logging roads.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Sage

The joy is in the journey!! Enjoy your time with the dog; the birds will come.

wmu 3A
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 PM
The Man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page