SGL 187 Pheasant Circus - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

SGL 187 Pheasant Circus

Went out today for a pheasant hunt with 2 guys from work, one guy had to leave early due to working tonight. The one that stayed we bagged our limit, but what a sight to see when the truck pulled up to stock the birds did not have a chance and some guys were shooting past 50 yards at flying birds and not watching out for others. I have read other posts on this subject and finally witnessed it, truely unbelievable. I was worried for my dogs the whole way back to the truck. The Stock truck raced out of there and I cant say that I blame them, that looks like dangerous work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: SGL 187 Pheasant Circus

I knw all about it my trk got peppered last week as we we pulling into a parkin spot. People are crazy.

swope racing 03
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Part of the Community

That's just crazy. What is wrong with these people.
When I was leaving the gamelands near me, I met a guy pulling into the parking lot and he was complaining about being shot at. Not a real safe hunting environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 01:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

It is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 150 yards of a GC vehicle whose occupants are releasing phesants...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wish they could stock on Sundays when no one could hunt. I try to stay away from stocking days anymore.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have seen only a few cases of hunters shooting at birds flying from the trucks but in their defense, I don't know if they knew where the birds came from as they were a couple hedge rows away. I also here comments about safety but have never heard of an injury from a shotgun while pheasant hunting. I have been around the occasional shot shower in trees over my head but that is expected when you are an area with higher density of hunters shooting at birds in the air. I don't think the shot has much danger other than for your eyes so get a pair of safety glasses and go hunt

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't understand why they only stock gamelands when I was younger they use to stock all around I think it's a joke stocking just the gamelands no sport in the way they do it pheasants don't have a chance
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun63
I don't understand why they only stock gamelands when I was younger they use to stock all around I think it's a joke stocking just the gamelands no sport in the way they do it pheasants don't have a chance
Probably because there was more open land back in the day.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THINBLUELINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygun63
Probably because there was more open land back in the day.
And the PGC used to release over 400,000 birds at the height of its stocking progrom. They simply had more land and more birds back then.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM

They used to stock Farm-Game Cooperator land here in Venango County. One of the FGC farms was open hunting to all, but was owned by the grandfather of a Game Commission (non-law enforcement) employee. An older guy, known to be quite the curmudgeon, was hunting on the farm. His dog pointed a pheasant IN THE FRONT YARD of the house. He smoked the pheasant as it flew alongside the house, and the bird dropped about 10 feet off the back porch. The landowner was understandably a little upset. The PGC law enforcement division ended up citing the hunter for a safety zone violation. The curmudgeon then started a letter-writing campaign that this was a 'buddy stock' and that he got arrested because he wasn't a 'buddy'. That was the end of private-land stocking here in Venango County.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page