SGL for Squirrel Hunting please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

SGL for Squirrel Hunting please

I went to 3 different SGLs this past week all the way from here in NJ and barely see any small game.

Today from 10:30 - 2:00 I was at SGL #127 and didn't see/hear any small game (only saw 1 doe and 1 8-pointer) and gave up and headed down to Nockamixon/SGL #157 where I finally got my first Squirrel of my career
(I was there from 3:30 - 5:45 (it was getting dark when I got the squirrel and saw another buck)

So I guess my question is what time of the day is the best to see the most action for squirrel and where are some good spots in Eastern PA for this time of the year?

I would gladly scout out different areas but I can't keep this trial and error up where I'm driving 300 miles each hunting day. I'm just looking to get to an area and be confident that there's small game in the area.

This new guy appreciates the help guys thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 AM
The Man

Re: SGL for Squirrel Hunting please

Try and be in the woods at legal shooting time. I kill most of mine between sun-up and 11:00. As far as locations go, most folks aren't gonna be real helpful, myself included. I can tell you this; you should be able to pull off the road just anyplace there are woods and kill a squirrel. The trick is to find the better spots. I look for areas with lots of food like oak trees or hickories, and in my area the hickory trees are really putting down some nuts this year. I like a little thicker woods with some grape vines and/or ground clutter, but not enough to prevent you from seeing 40-50yds or so. Find someplace like this next to a cornfield, and you have the potential of a good hunt. When you're checking it out, look for den trees, squirrel nests in the trees, acorn or nut cuttings on logs and stumps, and of course tracks if there is snow.

I approach hunting them just like I would if I were hunting deer. I follow the orange requirements, but no extra. I like to sit in a shaded area if possible, like under a small pine. Be quiet. Be still. Movement will make them skittish, and even if they are near you, they will move away instead of coming closer. If you are using a rifle, make sure you checked to see if it is still zeroed. If you're using a shotgun, make sure you are using proper shells. Squirrels can be tough, and leftover dove loads won't always kill them at some distances. It may be overkill, but I like high brass #6s. These are just my thoughts. Good luck!

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Sage

Why aren't you hunting in NJ for small game???

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the help quack I'll keep that in mind. Next time I head to any SGL I'll just get there for sun-up.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle
Why aren't you hunting in NJ for small game???
Believe it or not, my bolt-action .22 is illegal for small game here in NJ
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Sage

I do realize that...My point was you were passing some very decent hunting for all types of small game to come to Pa. And I guess they approved air rifles for squirrel & rabbit this year as well...

I used to use a shotgun for squirrel in NJ; I have some idea of what you are up against in weapon selection.

wmu 3A
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 08:48 PM
New Arrival

I concur with Quackmaster: out early; out late--that's when squirrels are active. Forget about midday hunting for them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 PM

Yes, early and late are best times. Look for squirrel sign while you are out too. look for leaf nests in trees. Look for cuttings (pieces of nut shell on the ground)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Just my $.02, but I seem to see most squirrels (when I'm hunting them) early morning, and right before dark. When the acorns are dropping heavily (October), they seem to be moving all day long, but sadly we can't hunt them until middle of the month. Later in the season (January), they don't seem to move much at all.

As far as location, they can be in just about any woodlot, as long as there's food for them. I'd suggest Evansburg state park, but you'll no doubt get grief from bow hunters and the antis who enjoy riding their horses & walking their dogs in the woods this time of the year.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 12:20 PM

Get a good squirrel dog and you will see and kill a lot more of them than just walking thru the woods. Mine had to be put down this year due to cancer but what an enjoyment it was to hunt with her. Saw way more game than just walking. Same with rabbit hunting. Get a good beagle and you will see way more rabbits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page