Grouse numbers? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Grouse numbers?

How's the grouse hunting this year ? Anyone hunt near prince glitzen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM
dap

Re: Grouse numbers?

My outings this year have the grouse numbers up a little from the prior 2 years. The following chart shows results of the first 2 weeks of hunting over the past 5 years.

Year - Flush/hr
2013 - 3.2
2012 - 2.6
2011 - 2.5
2010 - 4.7
2009 - 4.2

I can't give a report on numbers around Prince Gallitzin. I've hunted grouse in PA 6 days so far this year in 6 different counties but haven't spent any time in Cambria county.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 01:19 PM

dap,
You really can not judge the entire Grouse season from the 1st couple weeks, our numbers are way up right now to about 4.6 in my hunting areas, however we will see what the full season brings, I figure it will be slightly above average here on the northern tier, probably average around 3.6 some place, when the season is completed.

Pine Creek/Dave

Ken following Daisy and Ruby as Penny walks a Grouse to final set point.

Ken & the dogs relaxing at the end of Pennys walking point.

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine-Creek
dap,
You really can not judge the entire Grouse season from the 1st couple weeks, our numbers are way up right now to about 4.6 in my hunting areas, however we will see what the full season brings, I figure it will be slightly above average here on the northern tier, probably average around 3.6 some place, when the season is completed.

Pine Creek/Dave
Agreed that you can't judge a season by the first 2 weeks, but when someone asks "How's the grouse hunting this year", you can either base your reply on what you've experienced up until this point in the season or you wait until Jan 25, 2014 to respond. I think the Chevyman was probably looking for an answer before then .

So to take the first chart a little further, here is how the first two weeks of my seasons matched up with the rest of the season over the past 5 years in flushes per hour hunted.

Year - 2 wks - Season
2013 - 3.2 - ???
2012 - 2.6 - 2.6
2011 - 2.5 - 2.7
2010 - 4.7 - 3.3
2009 - 4.2 - 3.1
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My simple observation. I hunt in Sproul SF. On opening day my GSP and I flushed 18birds in 2.5hours. We returned, and hunted 3hours each day, Oct 24, 25, and 26. Each outing we flushed at least 8 birds. For me, I have seen more grouse this season than any of the last 22yrs I have hunted my little part of Sproul. I think the timber cutting the last ten years is helping.

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 01:30 AM
New Arrival

Pine creek-- Great pics. tell me about your Gordons. I have had Gordons for close to 20 years and am looking to get another (preferably a started dog) next spring. I have had great luck with Tartana Kennels out of Wisconsin. She breeds the traditional big bodied dogs that are great in the field and the home. What breeder did you get your dogs from? What are the bloodlines?

Shohola
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 AM

Shohola,
The breeder of Pine Creek Penny is retired his kennel is gone now, the closest dogs you will find today are from Dan Thomason at Sure Thing or Holly at Tartana. Penny may be Peats (Dan Thomasons incredible male) counter part as as female, she is that good in the Grouse woods.

Penny on Grouse point, after walking the bird to final set point.

The final results of her talents, a very greatful master.

dap,
I had no intention of belitteling your information on
the early Grouse numbers, I actually hope the numbers remain about the same or go up thru out the full season.
So far we have been having a great season, our Grouse contact numbers have been very high. I really do believe
the biologist in both the SFL & SGL are making a great effort to expand the proper habitat, it seems to be having a positive impact on our Pa Grouse numbers especially in the early part of the season, before the predator birds have such a drastic negative effect on the over all Grouse population each season.

Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 AM

Gentlemen,
The Grouse numbers are still up and my brother and nephue were up this week.

Shawnie my brothers Ryman Setter on Grouse point in front of my nephue Brian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page