Friendly advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Friendly advice

I know this is considered internet scouting and I'm not after honey holes and I know I may get a little bashing for this.

I am staying in Brookville with my dad for a few days for archery hunting on a property in the area. I was lucky enough to get a buck last night. I have my lab with me (my wife wasn't into taking care of the dog while I was gone) and brought my shotgun thinking maybe I could run her for some pheasants on the local SGLs.

Now that I have a little more free time than anticipated I think it'd be fun to go after some grouse/woodcock for 1/2 a day. I grew up in Cameron county but don't know the Brookville area at all. However, I know I'm not far from the ANF.

Does anyone have any helpful advice (in general) for places to start looking (beyond "in the ANF")? Or just as pertinent don't waste your time here kind of thing?

It'd be very useful and I will return the favor in any way possible. If you want to PM me (no spot burning) I will return a full detailed report on Tuesday as I'm likely to never be back in this area again when I leave for where home now is in NJ on Tuesday afternoon. Maybe theres a spot that you think may have potential but you haven't had the time to get to? Who knows but you can use me as your recon party.

Better yet if anyone wants to join me its just me and my dog going out for birds until Tues around noon.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Re: Friendly advice

If all else fails there's an easily accessible sgl not far with a hedgerow area near the parking lot, can't remember the #.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

There is a HUGE Game Lands in Reynoldsville with all sorts of birdy cover. Gets lots of birds but lots of hunters as well. Good luck.

These are the good old days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Another suggestion is Buzzard Swamp just east of Marienville in the ANF. More fields than you'll be able to hunt and the PGC stocks birds there.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

richardsville bridge on northfork. walk the tram going downstream.

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Went for the trifecta, but couldn't find a woodcock (I've yet to shoot one of them). This was the first grouse I shot since I was 15 and it was nice to add it to my dogs "birds retrieved" list.

Untitled by TheWanderer7, on Flickr

Got the grouse on a property near Franklin that my Dad told me about. Walked for 2 hours in the grousiest looking habitat and had nothing. Then towards the end coming down a tram road I saw one flush way ahead and got ready. Got up to a large pile of dead logs pushed to the side of the road and 4 more flushed. Only one in range. I got the pheasant at the gamelands in Reynoldsville. Nice property. Looks like it gets hit hard, however, there is for sure a hen that is still there but missing a few tail feathers.

Sure is a great time to be out in the woods.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:39 PM

I can't imagine why your wife wouldn't want to look after a good lookin pup like that.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

great looking dog. love them labs. mine is now a little past 11.5 years and she just hurts to much the next day. may have gotten her last bird this past Saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page